Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How we made the song
Hey friends !

Just a quick post to let you know what we did on this song.

Originally, Stop And Rise was different in its structure, ambiance and melodies. A friend of us, who's running a studio, proposed to let him produce the song. He wanted to help us to get a more modern sound after listening to the previous record (Into My Dreams, which from you can download 4 songs for mixing). So we obviously agreed and we then started some studio sessions.

After few sessions, we had changed a lot of things: the structure, the riffs, melodies... The song was very different but in the good way. After a few days our lead singer did not like the new vocal melodies. They were not Perpetual Escape-ish enough. So wasn't some guitar riffs.
So we rewrote them again, without any help, and we were happy. For some internal reasons, we then decided to record ourselves the song.

I recorded the drums at home, in a small bedroom that will welcome my incoming baby in April Smile I tried an hybrid approach with real cymbals and only electronic shells (except kick). So the room would not be a big problem and I would have tons of options for the drum tones. I used Shure KSM137 for the overheads, Shure SM81 on the hats, and AKG D112 on the kick.

The bass was recorded at the rehearsal room with the famous Neve DI.
Vocals were recorded at the rehearsal room too, using a Behringer B1 (cheap but does the job). This mic has a bell at around 12K, so you might have deess quite a lot there.

Guitar DIs were recorded at home, then reamped in a Mesa Mark V with a 1x12 custom speaker. I must admit I had a lot of problems with the guitar tones. I tried using an SM57, an e906 and a ribbon but I was never really happy of the tones. I did my best to make them sound good in the mix, but I'm still disappointed. This is why I only provided the DIs for you guys. Weeks after I finished the mix, we realized the speaker was badly set up. Now the tones Greg is using are fantastic. Next time, I'll record killer guitar tones !

Finally, I created all the loops, swells and booms in Logic Pro X. I mixed the song in Logic too, on headphones only (I'll build a home studio later this year, so for now I must adapt myself to keep working).

We did a little video clip to go along the song. It's more kind of a retrospective than a real video clip. At least you'll see our faces Smile

You can check it here

Happy mixing guys, it's always a true pleasure to come here and listen to your mixes (even if I don't always spend some time to give you feedback).

Cheers from France
Florian

wow you guys are old... Smile , I though that Perpetual Escape are consisted with teens... hahaha.... I saw your face Mandubien Smile

btw keep on rocking guys... , I love you guys... , love your music... Cool
Ah ah never say that to our guitarist. At least wait for his 50th birthday in 3 years Big Grin

Your Song is really awesome. The mix (Not MASTER) i have posted was completed in 3 hrs after importing the session to DAW.

Well the backing were also good ,all this were perfect (espacially the room mics).

I really like your work and Appriciate your Hard work.

(If you want than please critique my mix. I want to know, accoring to your perspective where still i am not good)

And yes CONGRATULATIONS for another memberBig Grin.

Thank You.
Vibhu.
Hard Work With Correct Knowledge+Information in the Right Direction is Not The Key To Success , But Success Is The Name Of these Three Elements Unified.
(28-02-2018, 02:22 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hey friends !

Just a quick post to let you know what we did on this song.

Originally, Stop And Rise was different in its structure, ambiance and melodies. A friend of us, who's running a studio, proposed to let him produce the song. He wanted to help us to get a more modern sound after listening to the previous record (Into My Dreams, which from you can download 4 songs for mixing). So we obviously agreed and we then started some studio sessions.

After few sessions, we had changed a lot of things: the structure, the riffs, melodies... The song was very different but in the good way. After a few days our lead singer did not like the new vocal melodies. They were not Perpetual Escape-ish enough. So wasn't some guitar riffs.
So we rewrote them again, without any help, and we were happy. For some internal reasons, we then decided to record ourselves the song.

I recorded the drums at home, in a small bedroom that will welcome my incoming baby in April Smile I tried an hybrid approach with real cymbals and only electronic shells (except kick). So the room would not be a big problem and I would have tons of options for the drum tones. I used Shure KSM137 for the overheads, Shure SM81 on the hats, and AKG D112 on the kick.

The bass was recorded at the rehearsal room with the famous Neve DI.
Vocals were recorded at the rehearsal room too, using a Behringer B1 (cheap but does the job). This mic has a bell at around 12K, so you might have deess quite a lot there.

Guitar DIs were recorded at home, then reamped in a Mesa Mark V with a 1x12 custom speaker. I must admit I had a lot of problems with the guitar tones. I tried using an SM57, an e906 and a ribbon but I was never really happy of the tones. I did my best to make them sound good in the mix, but I'm still disappointed. This is why I only provided the DIs for you guys. Weeks after I finished the mix, we realized the speaker was badly set up. Now the tones Greg is using are fantastic. Next time, I'll record killer guitar tones !

Finally, I created all the loops, swells and booms in Logic Pro X. I mixed the song in Logic too, on headphones only (I'll build a home studio later this year, so for now I must adapt myself to keep working).

We did a little video clip to go along the song. It's more kind of a retrospective than a real video clip. At least you'll see our faces Smile

You can check it here

Happy mixing guys, it's always a true pleasure to come here and listen to your mixes (even if I don't always spend some time to give you feedback).

Cheers from France
Florian

-------------------
Hello! Thanks so much for this explanation on how you recorded this song. I found it very helpful in my mixing process. Great song!!! Peace from New Jersey USA!
Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Florian, this song is awesome ! (All your songs actually Wink )
Had a lot of fun fooling around with this mix, I love the way you mixed it and used your mix as a reference to make sure I don't copy what you did and give the song another flavor. Yours is really "metal" leaning, so I tried going a more "traditional" rock way.

Anyways, keep up the awesome work !

(Félicitations pour le nouvel "escapee" soit dit en passant) and cheers from Lille Wink
Ozcan.