Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions - Devil's Words (First Mix)
(08-06-2018, 08:06 PM)gammasign Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 07:09 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hey Gamma

Levels are much better...

KMuzic,

How did you know I was mixing on headphones? Something is obvious. Smile I do mix on headphones at the present. It might be a couple years til I get a properly treated room and good monitors. I hate using the headphones. They seem to be bass heavy compared to the Bose system or my phone using ear buds. Also, headphones are uncomfortable.

I was just recently thinking that I could use some information about verb and delays. I went for a slapback delay on this track and it was terrible sounding, and I'm left wondering if that might be the result of the reverb send (going post fader) in combo with the slapback that made it sound so funny. I'll check out Mike's articles, and get that vocal set in the right space.

I'm going to give this track another go. The next version will be even better.

That snare effect on the drum loop was an accident. I didn't hear the track that was supplied, so I made my own and added it in. I realized later that there was a track for the drums that had that 909, 808 sound and I blended the track supplied along with my track. Is that ok? I played producer and added a track. I imagine that might be a no-no in the business. Don't really know. If anyone can clarify, can we add tracks/instruments in the mix? Occasionally, I find it necessary to add things in or take things away in order to get the musical effect I'm shooting for.

Thanks KMuzic. I appreciate your help in mixing. I owe you.

Hey Gamma

You can add tracks/instruments etc. Its not a no no. But with that said,
If you were mixing it for a client, you should sit down and confer with them if you were going to change anything. A friend of mine just makes the change, then lets the client hear it, if they don't like it, its time lost. Bit of a gamble, but seems to works for him.
So have fun, try things and be creative.

Don't worry about using headphones to mix, a lot of guys are real good at it. But be aware that it can give you a false sense of volume and tone, that's where using a reference track comes in. There are times its late and I don't want to crank up the monitors and wake the family up..lol, so Ill mix in my headphones and check it later on the monitors, sometimes I don't have to make any adjustments.
Small volume, tone and FX moves you make, you might hear nicely in the headphones, but they might get lost when played on speakers.

We both learn from each other, so no owing requiredSmile

Your doing great, keep asking questions. There are a bazillion different ways to mix a song, that's whats so cool about it. Its a personal thing. So nothings written in stone.
Cheers
KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(09-06-2018, 01:04 AM)gammasign Wrote: As far as the drums, it is mostly overheads. I couldn't get the toms to sound good and the overheads were pretty good, so I increased the overheads. Did you work on this track? How did you hear that? Great ears!

Thanks Shul!

I did work on this track a while back. I'm sure you could find it if you want to give it a listen to. Yes I noticed the overheads because I often place them in solo and that's the feel you get from just that on the drums. If you know how to sample drums you can fit some Tom samples in there to fill better with those over heads. That's what I did.

Reading some comments about headphones, you just gotta get used to listen to pro recordings in your free time to be able to get a better notion of the sound. If you don't have a well treated room to use studio monitors then headphones are a more convenient option. However the true feel to mix is best experienced in studio monitors. In my case I live in apartments so I can't really use the monitors like I would want to. But you get really good results on headphones though. Smile cheers
Thanks guys!

KMuzic - Thanks for the insight about adding/taking things away. Confer sounds like the best way to go about it.
Shul - I thought about putting samples on the toms. The snare and kick are sampled, so why not toms too. I'm gonna try it.

I really appreciate the help, guys.

Have a good day,
Gamma Smile