Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'd Rather Be Drinkin' -- AZmix
Okay, so here's my attempt at this. As noted, there are serious timing issues in every part as well as some not so clean tones/strikes. I fixed the worst of these and seriously thought about replacing the bass part but as he's drop tuned if not in fact on a 5 string, that's more trouble than it's worth for me. (The drop tuning makes finger movement a bit more difficult and i don't own a 5 string bass -- yet.)

I feel like this has too much dynamic range still but am not sure where to go to try to even things out. Anyway, give it a listen.

.mp3    i\'d-rather-be-drinkin-ltd.mp3 --  (Download: 7.74 MB)

.mp3    i\'d-rather-be-drinkin-ltd-2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.76 MB)

Old West Audio
Hey azwayne!
Your mix sounds good throughout the verse, but when the chorus hits, your can hear that almost everything is competing for space.
Ease up on the low mids and mids on most of the instruments, especially the piano. Also lower the choir a bit, they're the loudest thing in your mix and even makes distortion. Imo, they should be put further back.
Kick seem a little muddy, try to cut some low mids and sub frequencies from it, but don't make it loose it's body.
I would maybe try and pan the guitar and piano more to the middle for even more separation.
Other than that, i think you've nailed the overall sound of the song. I like your drums alot and the energy of the whole mix.
Great job keep it up!
Great comments.

I struggled with the chorus, how prominent to make the vocals. Hard to make them stand out but not come off like a battering ram. May have come from the fact that I have to monitor lower than I'd like (and thus couldn't hear the full impact) both because of my ears and my neighbors.

Found a bit of extra sound at about 400Hz in the kick and knocked that down. Think that was probably what you were hearing. (Also EQd the reverb a bit.)

I had a Haas delay on the piano and guitar panned opposite but guess I had left it too low. Brought it up to -3dB and that seems to have helped balance things out while still leaving a good, wide mix.

Also did some experiments with the vocal lines. Not sure about it but couldn't resist playing around a bit. Smile

Posted a revision with the above changes.
Old West Audio
Hi az,

I can agree with Bang's comments here, in relation to the first mix. The second mix is a big improvement, especially in regards to congestion and the fullness around that 400hz area. Overall az, you have a nice cohesive sound that's well balanced and sounds great through my headphones. Still that issue with the slide guitar for me though. May need to try and shape it around the vocal parts a little more, volume and or eq just to control those competing frequencies when they arise.

Great work so far!

Dave