Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.86 Average
My mix of 'My Father Never Loved Me' / WHAT DO U THINK???
Mixed in da box with Studio One Pro.
Enjoy Smile

.mp3    Mixdown3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.69 MB)

hi! i think your mix sounds good. very natural and 'transparent'. sometimes it feels a bit wide. nice job! ^_^
Just a question who gave you 3 stars for that mix
(05-06-2018, 02:19 PM)ChristianBiend Wrote: Just a question who gave you 3 stars for that mix

Good question.

If I gave you only one star because I ignorantly or subjectively thought your mix was crap and you later revised the mixmaster to one I then thought was fabulous, I couldn't later change my rating. Uncool. Something flawed or is meaningless or out of context has no value. Why it's here is beyond me, other than for the kids, but that said, it's great for dropping one star on someone who doesn't return feedback! lol.

It's not like it's hard coded into the software because everything is customisable in myBB.

Perhaps lobby your local MP or the site admin if it bothers you?
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(30-05-2018, 05:52 PM)tato Wrote: WHAT DO U THINK???

SO HERE'S WHAT I THINK, FWIW Wink

This has similarities with a Metal mixmaster that clash with the bluesy-rock style I think would be more applicable. The mix needs to fit the song like a glove, complementing the style of music (I don't always practise what I preach lol). The kick right out in front of everything with snare feeling set behind it, and the rest of the drum kit in the back of the room somewhere, seems to me out of context and not of this Earth. The kick doesn't balance with the bass guitar in the bass region and I quickly grew tired and distracted by it's unrelenting, detached pounding. Are you a drummer and need this happening perhaps? The tom rolls are from the drummers perspective, you gave them a nice delivery though. I thought for a moment someone had messed with my monitors for a laugh. The ambiance of the cymbals contradicts the quite wet vocal ambiance/reverb so there's an ambiance/spatial clash here that needs fixing for me.

The reverb on the vocal pushed him away from the front of the mix, giving the impression he's even behind the keys. Oh brother, the vocalist won't like that. Tongue

Spectrally, I have to admit this was fatiguing, like you are pushing the ear's resonance district far too hard. Perhaps the smiley curve is too smiley. If I raised the spl beyond conversation, it would get quickly out of shape and I wouldn't want to do that (Fletcher Munson shizz).

Would have preferred the image of the keys not to have been splayed across the sound stage, it lacks focus.

There's some low end proximity in the vocal which might benefit from being passed.

Switching to mono exacerbates how things get out of shape and lose context with the style of the music. This comes from hard panning and lack of depth (in the context of Haas). There are 3 problem zones; hard left, hard right and centre which I think you've overlooked.

If recordings aren't 48kHz, you waste time, hard drive space and CPU overhead working in this domain, there are no quality advantages in doing this Wink This has some minimal intersample peaks on the meter, but it's not obvious to my ears. If you are working in an EBU environment, why are you even 0dBFS limiting anyways, it's a loudness war setting! Angry

I generally liked the dynamics which contributed to the vibe and energy the song needs, just a shame I couldn't turn it up to get a better feel. Fix the smiley and this will be well on the way over here in the Abbey.

Hope this is helpful to yourself and the community Angel
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
I think the reverb on the vox is a bit distracting but overall sounds solid!

I had no issues turning it up *shrugs*
Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
nice.. did you use samples?
(16-06-2018, 02:38 PM)Monk Wrote:
(30-05-2018, 05:52 PM)tato Wrote: WHAT DO U THINK???

SO HERE'S WHAT I THINK, FWIW Wink

nice review...thanks..
Hey Tato,

Nice! I particularly like the drum sounds, and the balance within the kit itself.

Overall the drums feel a little dominant in the mix, and I think part of the issue is the frequency disconnect between the bass and the rest of the mix. The bass connects with the kick drum in the subsonic area of the mix, but because the bass doesn't seem to extend much up into the low mids of the mix, it doesn't seem to "carry" the musical stuff going on above it in the way it needs to so that it can create a cohesive sound.

A few fairly minor level/frequency tweaks would do wonders to complete the picture.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases