Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jessica Childress Slow Down
Old multitrack but i love this song, great vocalSmile
I tried to make interesting dynamics with compressors and automation. Let me know if I have succeeded.
Please please give me comments,i want to hear your opinion on this.

.mp3    Slow Down Nikola Mikovic.mp3 --  (Download: 7.3 MB)

What's up, Nikola? Listening on headphones here (ATH-M50x) and I can say your mix sounds full and round and warm, so yeah I guess you made it.
Maybe there's too much weight over the right side (guitar and hi-hat, similar frequencies and busy playing), which could be solved turning around the stereo of the drums bus. But I'd bet it's no issue over speakers.
Hey Deliza,many thanks for listening. Smile
I'm really glad you liked it. Are you sure that right side is busy, because on my system, guitar is on left side.Huh
Anyway, you are right about that guitar. When I listen again, It seems that is jumping out of speaker too much.
I will try something else to get more control.
Thanks for your time I appreciate it.Smile
Nicely done Nikola. I didn't notice the guitar until I read the comments. Then the guitar jumped out at me. I'm hearing rhythm guitar on the left and piano on the right.

Cool mix Nikola,
Gamma Smile
Hey Gamma, thanks for the nice comments.Smile
Yeah. it's always like that, the first time you hear it seems ok but when you hear second time...
Things are starting to jump on you.Big Grin
Thats why we need second opinion.I will make updated mix soon.
Thank you very much for your feedback.
(07-06-2018, 07:23 PM)Nikola Mikovic Wrote: Hey Deliza,many thanks for listening. Smile
I'm really glad you liked it. Are you sure that right side is busy, because on my system, guitar is on left side.Huh
Anyway, you are right about that guitar. When I listen again, It seems that is jumping out of speaker too much.
I will try something else to get more control.
Thanks for your time I appreciate it.Smile

Yeah, my mistake. I meant the left side.
Cool tone, very nice balance! Sometimes the compressor is audible, but in a good way. I would suggest reworking your depth structure. The vocal is being pushed back by the reverb (maybe use some pre-delay?) while guitar and piano seem pretty dry.
If you are going for a roomy live sound, make sure that every element gets some verb.
Also the vocals could have a bit more low-end and weight.

Good mix overall.

Cheers,
Lukas
Angel
(12-06-2018, 08:06 AM)LukasL Wrote: Cool tone, very nice balance! Sometimes the compressor is audible, but in a good way. I would suggest reworking your depth structure. The vocal is being pushed back by the reverb (maybe use some pre-delay?) while guitar and piano seem pretty dry.
If you are going for a roomy live sound, make sure that every element gets some verb.
Also the vocals could have a bit more low-end and weight.

Good mix overall.

Cheers,
Lukas
Angel
Hey LukasSmile
I am curious, on which element you can hear the compresion so i can be more careful in the future?
I will try to bring up the vocal more upfront, i think that i put some about 50 ms predelay on vocal verb...Huh
As regards piano and guitar i will try to make it sounding more wet.
Now it's really finally time to upload second mix version. Big Grin
Thank you for your time Lukas and thanks for listening, cheers.Smile
I think its the mix bus compressor. You can hear it pump a bit after each kick hit for example. It ducks while the kick hits and the relatively long release leads to the rest slowly being turned up, which is audible.

If its not the mix bus compressor, it could also be a drum bus comp. At least thats what I am hearing.

Cheers,
LukasAngel
This is update based on suggestions (Deliza, LukasL)Smile

.mp3    Slow Down Nikola Mikovic update.mp3 --  (Download: 7.3 MB)