Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mix of 'Talk To Me Baby'
A good amount of time was spent on the lead vocal, adjusting the gain on softer sections so that he could be heard more clearly. I used the second studio track; it seemed to convey more emotion. As it stands right now, I haven't added additional automation to the gain adjusted track. I think that would correct some of simbilence that stick out on occasion. Let me know what you think.

Added vocal automation - May 30.

.mp3    ZaneCarney_TalkToMeBaby_LATelefunken_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.46 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hi Dave

Really nice job on the vocals, tone is really sweet and you handled the last half of the song where it starts getting really congested and loud really well.
Im working on this now and having a tough time with the second half of the song

Great Job Dave!!

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(30-05-2018, 07:18 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Dave

Really nice job on the vocals, tone is really sweet and you handled the last half of the song where it starts getting really congested and loud really well.
Im working on this now and having a tough time with the second half of the song

Great Job Dave!!

Cheers
KSmile

Thanks, Kirk, its good to know the extra effort put into the vocals worked.
Hint for your mix: what I did was put the 2 acoustic guitars on a bus, el.gtrs1-3 on a bus, and el.gtrs 4-6 on another bus. I looped that last section of the song, starting with only the acoustics, drums and lead vocals, then brought in the backup vox, bass, gtrs1-3, gtrs4-6, and keys, in that order. Double checking the entire song, it seemed the levels were good across the song.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Thanks Dave...Ill give that a shot

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Vocal sounds pretty intimate but then come the stops and there's that nice dark reverb tail, that's very cool. And your drums sound quite modern, punchy and dry, almost MPCish, reminded me of vintage Feist. It felt a little strange at first, but not once I'm back listening to the song and not the mix. Did you do any processing postmix? Sounds tight and solid.

God, I really hate that people chattering at the end. I thought it was my fault for using the scratch vocal but they must belong to some other track.

(01-06-2018, 04:30 PM)Deliza Wrote: Vocal sounds pretty intimate but then come the stops and there's that nice dark reverb tail, that's very cool. And your drums sound quite modern, punchy and dry, almost MPCish, reminded me of vintage Feist. It felt a little strange at first, but not once I'm back listening to the song and not the mix. Did you do any processing postmix? Sounds tight and solid.

God, I really hate that people chattering at the end. I thought it was my fault for using the scratch vocal but they must belong to some other track.

There is reverb on the snare and toms only, Deliza; very short, about .75 seconds, and just barely audible when soloed, so it only adds width, not much to actually hear and take notice of during the song with everything else going on.

On this tune, the mastering plug-ins are 1) FabFilter Q2, with an 18dB per octave low cut at 35Hz, and an 18dB per octave high cut starting at 12kHz; 2) Waves C4 multi-band compressor, 3) Waves SSL compressor, set at 2:1 and just barely getting occasional 3dB gain reduction, mostly hovering around 2dB GR; 4) A1StereoControl at the MasterBus 115% setting; 5) Adaptive limiter set to +3dB.

Of course, I snipped the chattering and clapping at the end, and then faded out on the track and used an automation fade out on the stereo bus. If memory serves correctly, the chattering was scattered across several tracks. I did some track fade outs in the mix to drastically reduce the sound and make my life easier in mastering.
Peace,
Dave
So the reverb over the stop before the second chorus is just snare and toms? Wow, I was sure it was responding to the vocal, funny how the brain works. And high cut starting as soon as 12kHz is surprising as well, though my analyzer tells me no mp3 goes beyond that and I've never bothered.
(02-06-2018, 11:25 AM)Deliza Wrote: So the reverb over the stop before the second chorus is just snare and toms? Wow, I was sure it was responding to the vocal, funny how the brain works. And high cut starting as soon as 12kHz is surprising as well, though my analyzer tells me no mp3 goes beyond that and I've never bothered.

Hi Deliza. I don't know what analyzer your using, but its not showing you everything. Attached is an image taken in Logic of Melissa Etheridge's song "Breakdown" at 128kbps MP3 and again at 320kbps, using Logic's default multimeter and with FabFilter (this was ripped way back when disks weren't as large and were much more expensive). It shows that there are frequencies above 12kHz in MP3s.

Back in 2010, my CRAS class did some comparisons of MP3 compression versus the mastered wave file. You can clearly hear all sorts of problems across the frequency spectrum at a compression below 192VBR. As you increase the rate above that, the differences become less noticeable. In my own case, I think 256VBR sounds much better than 192VBR, but going up to 320 doesn't seem to be any different than 256VBR. Personally, I like Apple's and Linux lossless compression the most, but you can't load much on your iPad/iPhone/iPod when the files are so large.

Thumbnail(s)

Peace,
Dave
My opinion is that the mix has serious phase issues. (Maybe not so serious, but it definitely does...)
Sasha MD
(03-07-2018, 12:55 AM)davemcg61 Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 11:25 AM)Deliza Wrote: So the reverb over the stop before the second chorus is just snare and toms? Wow, I was sure it was responding to the vocal, funny how the brain works. And high cut starting as soon as 12kHz is surprising as well, though my analyzer tells me no mp3 goes beyond that and I've never bothered.

Hi Deliza. I don't know what analyzer your using, but its not showing you everything. Attached is an image taken in Logic of Melissa Etheridge's song "Breakdown" at 128kbps MP3 and again at 320kbps, using Logic's default multimeter and with FabFilter (this was ripped way back when disks weren't as large and were much more expensive). It shows that there are frequencies above 12kHz in MP3s.

Back in 2010, my CRAS class did some comparisons of MP3 compression versus the mastered wave file. You can clearly hear all sorts of problems across the frequency spectrum at a compression below 192VBR. As you increase the rate above that, the differences become less noticeable. In my own case, I think 256VBR sounds much better than 192VBR, but going up to 320 doesn't seem to be any different than 256VBR. Personally, I like Apple's and Linux lossless compression the most, but you can't load much on your iPad/iPhone/iPod when the files are so large.

Yep, I had suspicions my analizer was pretty crappy. Every mp3 (and most in my house are 320) shows a stern cut a 12kHz. Thanks for make it so clear!