Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#03 'Slow Down' - First try on drum replacement, so easy to overdo!
I tried to get away from the raw sound of the drums as much as possible, aiming for a late disco/'Off the Wall' ambience. Well, I'd say I'm still one or two light years away from that.

Mixed on headphones again, I probably went too shy on the voice and too hot on the drums. Any feedback is appreciated.

.mp3    03 - Jessica Childress - Slow Down (Deliza).mp3 --  (Download: 7.18 MB)

Hey Deliza
Im totaly ok with your chose of drum samples, it's definitely different.Smile
Mix is prety good sounding, at least to me, but i notice that the bass is too much scooped out, mising litle of low midrange freq.
I think that is in this song for the bass is cruciual to have some of that because his is a driving element.
Byt again, this is my opinion, so don't take too seriously.Wink
Definitely, bass is weak, unfocused and shy. Thanks, Nikola
Hey, I wanted to comment on yours - I appreciate your feedback on mine.
A lot of interesting ideas on yours- the dry drums and in-front guitar definitely fit the disco genre in my opinion! Interesting choice of effects on the toms. Dry and lots of attack too.
Reverbs are distant and don't get in the way - nice.
The only real criticism is that sometimes the drum triggers sound a little "triggered" - especially when drums are more prominent (e.g. consecutive snare hits).
I like what you did w/ the guitar tone.

Good note, Garri. I guess that's what happens when you get loco first time replacing drums!
(20-09-2018, 09:49 AM)Deliza Wrote: Good note, Garri. I guess that's what happens when you get loco first time replacing drums!

Hey I listened to your new version - The drums I thought sounded a lot more natural. Loved a lot of your vocal delays too. My ears were drawn to the drums, but it could have been more that I was listening for them rather than them being too loud (if that makes sense!) Keep up the good work!
Thank you, Garri, but there is no other version, it is the old same! I don't revisit mixes, except for once (shameless spam coming):
http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=24567

I guess you just did like it more after a second listening, cheers!
Sweet, sweet music Deliza.
I like what you have done. Great Work.
Thanks, Dave! It's a relatively old mix and I tried to do more than I could handle (voice reverb is unnecessarily noticeable and long, bass is weak and drums a little out of place), but still it was an enjoyable learning experience.
Hey deliza,

nice "disco" sounding mix.
Kick is a bit loud and the bass could have more mids. Also the vocal is a bit too distant.

I enjoyed the rest!

Cheers,
LukasAngel