Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atlantis Bound: 'It Was My Fault For Waiting' (critiques pls)
Hey Guys,

--------------------

VERSION 2:
Lots of new stuff, its been a while... Beefed up kick and snare with samples along with the live drums. Let me know what you think of this new version Wink

---------------------

this mix&master was difficult to tackle because the raw sounds were not the greatest in the world.

The Bass DI was very very dynamic but I think I managed to tame it. I used the provided GTR sounds each DBL with a different mic. I parallel proccesed the vocal, with 1176-like compression, Tube compression and distortion to get a rich, full sound and blended with the original track to get a controlled but transparent sound, which then ran through an opto compressor only doing 2-3db.
Drums were not the easiest, but heavy compression and distortion did the trick.

Hope you like it let me know what you think!

Cheers,
LukasAngel

.mp3    AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.13 MB)

.mp3    AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_rework.mp3 --  (Download: 9.29 MB)

Hey Lukas,
I like the mix,
Nice dynamics, vocal proccessed very nicely, sweet sounding, snare feels a bit disconnected. ... Well really good mix Smile
Wondering about vocal, perhaps a tiny too much compression for my taste or maybe i would add a bit more low end to it? Nitpicking Smile.
One "trick" i do when in doubt about dynamic, even if i already put some compression earlier, i add parraell compression 50/50 and push the nob. It helps most of a time.
Well doneSmile
Overall I really like the mix. Its got good balance and dynamics. I'm really digging the fx on the vocals, I do think however that the vocals could benefit from some added warmth.
I also agree with Lethan about the snare. Seems like the doesnt fit the mix. I think it could maybe benefit from some more eq, it kinda has this boxy, hollow sound thats making it stick out of the mix too much. The distorted guitars also sound a bit harsh for the sound, I would maybe cut a bit in the range of 2k-3k?
For the bass, I would try eq'ing some of the mids out to make it sound a bit bigger. I would also bring up the guitar solo in volume a bit. The keyboard/piano also sounds a bit loud it places.

Overall it is very good though. Cheers.

Jack Hutcheson - The Dark Triad EP
Spotify - AppleMusic  - YouTubeMusic

My Mixes