Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Flames mix by NotJack
I was trying to get grittier tones with this mix, I was kinda thinking a Tool kind of style, even though I don't have any of their music to directly reference. Kinda struggled to get a bass tone I liked, but I hope you guys enjoy it. Any constructive criticism is welcome. I'm always trying to get better.

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames NotJack Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 11.35 MB)

Hey Jack,

vocal has good presence in the mix and sits very well. The guitars however are a bit pokey and could be a bit darker. The Bass distortion ist a bit much for me, a cleaner sound might help to support the guitars. The drums have a good snap, but need to carry more weight and fatness.
Balance is very good, a just a bit more bass please.

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Thanks for the input! For the vocals what I ended up doing was using some bandpass filters to create a telephone effect and blended with the clean vocal. I was originally going to go 100% wet with it and modulate it for different sections of the song, but decided to leave it because of how well made the vocals cut through. As for the bass balance, I may have overcompensated for my cheap headphones too much. After comparing to some pro mixes it does seem to be lacking in the low end department.
Jack Hutcheson - The Dark Triad EP
Spotify - AppleMusic  - YouTubeMusic

My Mixes
(07-05-2018, 03:48 AM)NotJack Wrote: I was trying to get grittier tones with this mix, I was kinda thinking a Tool kind of style, even though I don't have any of their music to directly reference. Kinda struggled to get a bass tone I liked, but I hope you guys enjoy it. Any constructive criticism is welcome. I'm always trying to get better.

Overall
I think you're really good at balancing the levels

Bass/Low-End

I could see the bass guitar being a bit low or its being masked by the low end on your guitar tones. (Solving: I put a high-pass filter at a moderate Q (roughly 0.9 to 1.1) on the guitar tracks, this allows the bass to be able to blend with the guitars making them sound 1 wall of sound)

Drums
I like how you got the snare and the kick to snap in the mix; its what I'm struggling to do with this mix/master. You're toms are solid, perfect snap to the high end on them; but they seem to resonate a bit long. (Solving: Sharp Q bell EQ's (Notches) can help reduce the fundamental note of the toms; when reduced by about 2dB - 4dB it allows them to resonate then get masked into the mix (or a gate if you have them gated) and won't resonate for so long.)

Vocals
I like your EQ on his voice, makes him not get lost in the mix; the song overall has a lot of low end; and I can hear that you reduced the lows on his voice with out taking to much out; You did a really good job carrying his original voice without to many effects (bells and whistles).
However; I feel like he might be sitting into the mix a bit much; if you were either put a High Shelf around 8.5k or 10k with about 2dB - 6dB it'd make him cut through the mix a little bit better without having to raise the vocal tracks directly.