Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get Fooled Mix
This is my mix ....

Please leave feedback/comments! and please check out my other mixes...

Thank you....

.mp3    getfooledmaster.mp3 --  (Download: 10.97 MB)

(05-05-2018, 09:03 PM)Cwidener7 Wrote: This is my mix ....

Please leave feedback/comments! and please check out my other mixes...

Thank you....

Hey I thought the kick sounded a little loud so I took and down and added a little more high end of the vocals

.mp3    getfooledmaster.mp3 --  (Download: 10.97 MB)

This is a revision...I re-worked the guitars and the kick drum...one of my favorites. I really like the breakdown towards the end. I also added a little parallel compression on the drum buss to try to make it a little heavier...

.mp3    getfooledmaster.mp3 --  (Download: 10.8 MB)

The atmosphere in the second verse (with the quiet vs loud Pixies quality) is great, dense and foggy. You get a pretty spartan and dry drum sound, like you didn't use much of the OH's or maybe played with transients... it's a cool sound, but the main phrase of the track feels a little disjointed because the root bass note is hardly there, so bass and drums are not playing much together. Looks like you spent some time on the bass automating levels so the higher notes are clean and loud, or maybe it is so because of the proccessing you put on it, but apart from that second verse, the bass lacks gravitas and is easily overpowered by the guitar.

Cool timing on the vocal delay (maybe a little too much wet) and nice fuzzy and clippy guitar. Pretty cool how the drumkit opens in the choruses when the drummer hits the ride and toms (is there any edit or gating there?).

(21-01-2019, 04:39 PM)Deliza Wrote: The atmosphere in the second verse (with the quiet vs loud Pixies quality) is great, dense and foggy. You get a pretty spartan and dry drum sound, like you didn't use much of the OH's or maybe played with transients... it's a cool sound, but the main phrase of the track feels a little disjointed because the root bass note is hardly there, so bass and drums are not playing much together. Looks like you spent some time on the bass automating levels so the higher notes are clean and loud, or maybe it is so because of the proccessing you put on it, but apart from that second verse, the bass lacks gravitas and is easily overpowered by the guitar.

Cool timing on the vocal delay (maybe a little too much wet) and nice fuzzy and clippy guitar. Pretty cool how the drumkit opens in the choruses when the drummer hits the ride and toms (is there any edit or gating there?).
Thank you for such an in depth review of my mix....I can see what your saying about the low end. Do you have any tricks or tips to get the bass to sit with the guitars and kick? It seems like when I scoop out more low end on the guitars it makes them sound thin. Good ear on the drums. The cymbal rides and bleed were driving me nuts so I put a gate and automated it for the different sections to open it up. Thank you again for taking the time to listen Deliza! Let me know about the low end suggestions/tips

I don't have any particularly technical approach for low end (nor the expertize/monitoring to do so) but I stick to a routine and then play adlib:
my bass and kickdrum go to a bus I call "LOW" with a Bus plugin (Sonimus Britson Bus) in it. I set bass fader until it's doing a steady -18dB RMS in the Bus plugin's VU. Then I sketchely tweak kick's balance and from then on, I'll hardly touch bass fader again, it's all "LOW" bus fader, except for a now and then slight movement to the kick's fader to sweet the balance between them. I'm a sucker for slight, organic ducking compression, but almost never I'll do it with bass, though it's a pretty common trick (ducking bass with the kick, I mean).

All the other parts of the drumkit go to a "DRUMS" bus and then those two buses go to a "RHYTHM" bus. It's easy to mute guitars and imagine a verse that's only bass/drums, so I'll set the lowend and rhythm and then bring guitars in. The sparser the arrangement, the more lowend guitars can have. With this mix, I've used a mid/side EQ in the guitars bus to shelve down the lowend in the mid channel so it leaves place for the "LOW" bus. Sometimes I set that mid low EQ sidechained to the bass track (or the "LOW" bus), especially when the bass part is more legato.

I have little option but to do as if I trusted my monitoring (headphones with a correction plugin) because I just cannot make any sense out of "spectographs" or whatever.
(24-01-2019, 10:31 AM)Deliza Wrote: I don't have any particularly technical approach for low end (nor the expertize/monitoring to do so) but I stick to a routine and then play adlib:
my bass and kickdrum go to a bus I call "LOW" with a Bus plugin (Sonimus Britson Bus) in it. I set bass fader until it's doing a steady -18dB RMS in the Bus plugin's VU. Then I sketchely tweak kick's balance and from then on, I'll hardly touch bass fader again, it's all "LOW" bus fader, except for a now and then slight movement to the kick's fader to sweet the balance between them. I'm a sucker for slight, organic ducking compression, but almost never I'll do it with bass, though it's a pretty common trick (ducking bass with the kick, I mean).

All the other parts of the drumkit go to a "DRUMS" bus and then those two buses go to a "RHYTHM" bus. It's easy to mute guitars and imagine a verse that's only bass/drums, so I'll set the lowend and rhythm and then bring guitars in. The sparser the arrangement, the more lowend guitars can have. With this mix, I've used a mid/side EQ in the guitars bus to shelve down the lowend in the mid channel so it leaves place for the "LOW" bus. Sometimes I set that mid low EQ sidechained to the bass track (or the "LOW" bus), especially when the bass part is more legato.

I have little option but to do as if I trusted my monitoring (headphones with a correction plugin) because I just cannot make any sense out of "spectographs" or whatever.
Thanks for taking the time to give such detailed advice! I've heard of ducking on the bass/kick and guitar/vocals but have never tried it. I think I'll have to practice it on my next mix.....