Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Lingua Funqa: 'Just One Minute' kapu mix
(23-05-2018, 03:08 AM)javierpg84 Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 07:12 PM)kapu Wrote: Lovely strings and arrangement etc. Then I distort, smash and pump everything. ^_^

As other mixers have [...]

Haha! Smile Thanks! If I remember correctly, I also used mono chorus on the vocals. I think I used more drum room than overheads, and compressed them probably way over. The ending synth indeed sounds a bit nasty, should have filtered it more. ^_^
(02-05-2018, 07:12 PM)kapu Wrote: Lovely strings and arrangement etc. Then I distort, smash and pump everything. ^_^

Excellent idea!

This is the first mix that gets around the chaos at 3m too!

Finding some fatigue though, being boring. Sometimes the trebles get a little too congested and the amplitude gets hot from it.

Loving the charismatic approach Big Grin
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(25-05-2018, 02:04 PM)Monk Wrote: Excellent idea! [...]

Thanks for feedback. Always room for improvent. Now listening it sound more like a one trick show with the vocal treatment, but it has it's moments. ^_^
Added second mix. ^_^
mix2. I had a long discussion with myself about the strings. In your mix, and some others, they sound too far out of the way and seem to lose connection with the rest of the performance? And I'm not so sure the space, as implied by the really long tail, fits the needs of the rest of the performance. You've put a long decay on the vocal, for this reason? Trouble is, he seems further back because of this. How about a compromise?

Loved the cymbal swells and washes, they made quite an impact, even in their subtle delivery. Great balance and tone on them I thought.

Maybe use an eq on the verbs to make sure the bass is kept out, it can add to bloat otherwise.

Occasionally a cymbal hit pinches a little, but an easy fix.

YOU RASCAL, YOU MUTED THE TRIANGLE?! ALL OF IT. BRILLIANT!! The cymbal swells and focusing on other elements instead of this irritating clanger, worked. I'm not even missing it. Damn.

I liked the general timbre here too. Cool moves.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(26-05-2018, 05:34 PM)Monk Wrote: mix2. I had [...]

Thank for listening. Triangle is still there, but I took it so low it's basically unintelligible. Also used 1-pole filter to take out some highs from triangle. I'm not too keen on the dogma of mix sitting in a coherent space. Sometimes it sounds nice. I thought the drums sound good also when dry, but strings didn't, so added some reverb to strings. Then added some messy reverb to vocals, and some other tracks too, trying to make it less sterile or 'Toto'. The vocals had some nice pauses, so it felt good to use reverb with longer tail. The artificial hum on bass track issa little annoying. ^_^
Oh yes, so it is. Auditioning at conversation level with a high background noise does a good job of masking it.

I like a bit of dogma, genre dependent of course Wink It's a bit too off the beaten track, like the voice in an aircraft hanger kind of thing, that it results in a distraction for me, if I may say, but I understand your desires.

Creating a coherent space is one of the most challenging things in mixing, if you ask me, especially if the tracks come with all sorts of room characteristics embedded within. Given some of the weird fx supplied in the track which I thought confused the concept to be honest, one could argue perhaps that coherency might not be a sensible course of action anyway.
(29-05-2018, 01:37 PM)Monk Wrote: Oh yes, so it is. [...]

Thank you for your effort. I kinda figured out you were dogmatic based on your posts, and well, username and picture. I crafted new mix with higher headroom. FWIW it was originally around -18 dBFS old RMS (Cubase meter), and then I cut around 5 dBs of unused headroom with limiter for rendering. Limiter is taking something between 0 and 1 dBs every now and then. Technically it should represent 24 bit mixdown as close as possible in encoded domain. I reproduced some sounds and did edits with heavy hand, and added some free association madness for intro. Still, no coherent space, but it should sound nicer in benchmarky listening with studio monitors or good headphones. ^_^