Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Lingua Funqa: 'Just One Minute'
(01-05-2018, 11:26 AM)Dangerous Wrote:
(01-05-2018, 03:51 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Version 4

Started from scratch again. I used Cubase on the last 3 and ran out of processing power so I remixed it Reaper which is processor friendly

Took some of Dave's suggestions automated the strings, some of the vocals and a few of the other FX's to give it some more dynamics. Hardest part were the vocals, they drove me nuts ..lol. I thinks they sound ok

Comments welcome!!
Cheers
KSmile

Yeah, great work K! less noise and more music in this pass for sure. Sounds great through headphones. Really good balance and focus between the rhythm and melody. Quite contrasting really. I like it alot. Well DoneBig Grin

Thanks Dave
I appreciate the direction you got me going in. I learned a lot on this mix.
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey dude, the second mix you got on there sounds really nice! It sounds the way i had imagined it to sound but didn't really get there in the master, good job Smile Only thing i miss a litle though is a bit more umpf in the kick, to make it more edmish, then you need a really overbig kick hehe XD.
Hi Kirk, thanks for dropping by and sharing your ob's. Thanks for not pointing out the distortion in at least one spot, you saved me blushes Big Grin

Listened to version 4 (wow, you have stamina!) – mix1a. Here's a few thoughts.

The arrangement has a lot of brightness which converts to harshness as instruments come and go. The triangle is especially agitating my ear canal, along with a filter sweep for example. The mix is busy and this makes it fatiguing to listen to, the abundance of upper mids and treble adds to this issue. The lossy format will magnify resonances making > 1kHz a trial. This zone was also a problem in the preview mix and I too struggled to rein it in. Did the triangle, with it's edgy character that can quickly become annoying if overly present, need to be about for over half the song's duration? We could ask this question of other elements if we are impartial.

At the other end of the spectrum, the bass booms occasionally on some notes.

Switching to mono brings out the phase gremlins and finer balance issues. What we want to avoid is the example in the preview mix, where the strings turn hollow and unnatural and lose their glory. Club systems are abundantly mono

Still in mono, at 3:40 the song gets vocally cluttered and chaotic, as it does in stereo for that matter, but mono focuses it.

There is a relative omission of tension and release. I think the density of the arrangement offers some opportunities, especially between verse and chorus. Changing levels and therefore energy between parts and sections might also help here? I found the strings were quite responsive in changing the feel and vibe of the song, for example. You could also get radical and start modding their attack envelopes in strategic areas Wink

If I was to take a punt, I'd say this was mixed on open backed headphones.

Out of interest, did you equalise the mono reverb on the lead vocal?
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(04-05-2018, 10:37 AM)Monk Wrote: Thanks for not pointing out the distortion in at least one spot, you saved me blushes Big Grin

I've just come back from fixing some irritations which I'll print later. It appears to be clipping in the original Rhodes track.

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Hi Kirk ,
Listening to version 4 translates well on my monitors and headphones ,The kick sounds a touch heavy below 30hz also can hear some low frequencies if the kick in the side channels below 400hz with the bass and kick .
Not a big deal Just some Thoughts while Having a critical listen on monitors and headphones sounds great on phone and small monitors !
The most important thing is this is a nice solid mix !
Well Done
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(04-05-2018, 12:44 PM)thedon Wrote: Hi Kirk ,
Listening to version 4 translates well on my monitors and headphones ,The kick sounds a touch heavy below 30hz also can hear some low frequencies if the kick in the side channels below 400hz with the bass and kick .
Not a big deal Just some Thoughts while Having a critical listen on monitors and headphones sounds great on phone and small monitors !
Well Done
Cheers Big Grin

Hello,

Interesting post. I've excellent ears, according to my audiologist. I've attached a screen grab of a resonance which is setting my ears on fire. Not yours during a critical listen?

Thumbnail(s)

(03-05-2018, 12:15 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hey dude, the second mix you got on there sounds really nice! It sounds the way i had imagined it to sound but didn't really get there in the master, good job Smile Only thing i miss a litle though is a bit more umpf in the kick, to make it more edmish, then you need a really overbig kick hehe XD.

Thanks Crownoise

I appreciate the comments. Yeah it could use more kick
Thanks!!

KirkSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(04-05-2018, 10:37 AM)Monk Wrote: Hi Kirk, thanks for dropping by and sharing your ob's. Thanks for not pointing out the distortion in at least one spot, you saved me blushes Big Grin

Listened to version 4 (wow, you have stamina!) – mix1a. Here's a few thoughts.

The arrangement has a lot of brightness which converts to harshness as instruments come and go. The triangle is especially agitating my ear canal, along with a filter sweep for example. The mix is busy and this makes it fatiguing to listen to, the abundance of upper mids and treble adds to this issue. The lossy format will magnify resonances making > 1kHz a trial. This zone was also a problem in the preview mix and I too struggled to rein it in. Did the triangle, with it's edgy character that can quickly become annoying if overly present, need to be about for over half the song's duration? We could ask this question of other elements if we are impartial.

At the other end of the spectrum, the bass booms occasionally on some notes.

Switching to mono brings out the phase gremlins and finer balance issues. What we want to avoid is the example in the preview mix, where the strings turn hollow and unnatural and lose their glory. Club systems are abundantly mono

Still in mono, at 3:40 the song gets vocally cluttered and chaotic, as it does in stereo for that matter, but mono focuses it.

There is a relative omission of tension and release. I think the density of the arrangement offers some opportunities, especially between verse and chorus. Changing levels and therefore energy between parts and sections might also help here? I found the strings were quite responsive in changing the feel and vibe of the song, for example. You could also get radical and start modding their attack envelopes in strategic areas Wink

If I was to take a punt, I'd say this was mixed on open backed headphones.

Out of interest, did you equalise the mono reverb on the lead vocal?

Hi Monk

I Always enjoy your entertaining and interesting comments.

Thanks for listeningBig Grin

(04-05-2018, 12:44 PM)thedon Wrote: Hi Kirk ,
Well Done
Cheers Big Grin

Thanks Don

Ill check that out and clean up the low end in the next version

Thanks so much

KirkSmile

Mix 4 sounds very cool, Kirk.

I would turn down track 35_Synth and 36_Synth. I noticed those two really crushed my headroom when they came in. Turning them down a bit helped a lot. I noticed they are pretty up front in your mix when they hit.