Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Lingua Funqa: 'Just One Minute'
Had fun with this one

Comments welcome

Cheers!!

KSmile

Mix 2 .. a lot wetter and brought out FX's more. pumped the bass..changed levels. hope it worked better
Cheers
KSmile

MIX # 4 Below

.mp3    Lingua Funqa\'s \'Just One Minute\'.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

.mp3    Lingua Funqa\'s \'Just One Minute2\'.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Wasn't happy with either of the 2 first mix's and started from scratch.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

KSmile

I'm torn between mix 2 and 3 .. ahhrg!

.mp3    Lingua Funqa\'s \'Just One Minute3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Mix number 2 is the best one.
Hard to say which one prefer Undecided Probably mix#2
Overall they all have nice clarity drive and energy. Just a couple of things instinctively stand out though. First of all I feel the vocals are too hot and too forward in the mix. For me Mix#3 is maybe the best in this regard as they do seem to be reigned in a little, but I still feel they could come down a little more as far as balance goes. The other thing I think you can improve on is with the string parts, which sound a little lethargic and lacking that vibrant lift when they emerge. 0.18 into the song is an example where the intensity build through the intro falls away a bit when the strings come in at this point. I think you could push these forward more both in volume and tonally to make that statement in the mix. Mikes preview mix is a super example. I guess with a song like this that has so much going on, the huge challenge is to keep the song moving forward and exciting to the end and not just flat tracking. Tasteful automation, mutes and the like are the key.

I reckon K, with this in mind and where you have the mix at already, you can elevate things to the next level. Anyways, I hope this helps.

Cheers
(30-04-2018, 12:16 PM)Obelix Wrote: Mix number 2 is the best one.

Thanks for commenting Obelix. I think I'll probably give it another shot soon.
Cheers
KSmile

(30-04-2018, 12:58 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hard to say which one prefer Undecided Probably mix#2
Overall they all have nice clarity drive and energy. Just a couple of things instinctively stand out though. First of all I feel the vocals are too hot and too forward in the mix. For me Mix#3 is maybe the best in this regard as they do seem to be reigned in a little, but I still feel they could come down a little more as far as balance goes. The other thing I think you can improve on is with the string parts, which sound a little lethargic and lacking that vibrant lift when they emerge. 0.18 into the song is an example where the intensity build through the intro falls away a bit when the strings come in at this point. I think you could push these forward more both in volume and tonally to make that statement in the mix. Mikes preview mix is a super example. I guess with a song like this that has so much going on, the huge challenge is to keep the song moving forward and exciting to the end and not just flat tracking. Tasteful automation, mutes and the like are the key.

I reckon K, with this in mind and where you have the mix at already, you can elevate things to the next level. Anyways, I hope this helps.

Cheers

All great points Dave. The tracks are very well recorded and I think what you said about tasteful automation , mutes etc are the key. Ill try that and also concentrate more on the dynamics than off the wall FX's.

Cheers
KSmile

Version 4

Started from scratch again. I used Cubase on the last 3 and ran out of processing power so I remixed it Reaper which is processor friendly

Took some of Dave's suggestions automated the strings, some of the vocals and a few of the other FX's to give it some more dynamics. Hardest part were the vocals, they drove me nuts ..lol. I thinks they sound ok

Comments welcome!!
Cheers
KSmile

.mp3    Just One Minute-Reaper Mix1a.mp3 --  (Download: 9.96 MB)

(01-05-2018, 03:51 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Version 4

Started from scratch again. I used Cubase on the last 3 and ran out of processing power so I remixed it Reaper which is processor friendly

Took some of Dave's suggestions automated the strings, some of the vocals and a few of the other FX's to give it some more dynamics. Hardest part were the vocals, they drove me nuts ..lol. I thinks they sound ok

Comments welcome!!
Cheers
KSmile

One of the better mixes I heard. Good job
Mike

[email protected]
Duluth, MN

Comments welcome!!
Cheers
KSmile

Yeah, great work K! less noise and more music in this pass for sure. Sounds great through headphones. Really good balance and focus between the rhythm and melody. Quite contrasting really. I like it alot. Well DoneBig Grin
(01-05-2018, 10:10 AM)kbl_guy Wrote:

Comments welcome!!
Cheers
KSmile

One of the better mixes I heard. Good job

Thanks Kbl
very much appreciated!
Cheers!
KSmile