Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Griffo Pennies
Loved mixing this song. Great song form a great band.

I had a lot of trouble with the guitars on this, still not 100% happy with them, but here it is.

.mp3    Young Griffo Pennies.mp3 --  (Download: 7.62 MB)

Hi,

I know what you mean with the guitars. They gave me something to work on, too. The problems I sense with them are on the one hand a bit too much distortion and on the other hand a bit too little arrangement.

Now let's listen to your mix Smile

You made some interesting decisions. I definitly think that the vocals should stay more on the same level as the guitars. As they are now, they seem to get buried. I was missing the second guitar during the chorus, but that may come from the way I chose to put them in my mixes (it is there, but you have to know that there is one to hear it). The drumsound has a bit too much reverb for my taste, but apart from it sounds very solid to me.

The reverb on the repeated "it all ends" is a nice idea, but I do not really like its sound. The flanging on the guitar during the outro section is nice. The drums on the other hand sound a bit strange during that section.

Please do read all my criticism with the fact in mind, that I spent some time with this song, too, and have a certain sound in mind. But I hope there is something useful for you in them, as well.

Cheers,
Harry
Thanks for listening to my mix, I appreciate all feedback

I take your point about the vocal levels. I think I tried to push the guitar foward for more impact and ended up taking it too far. Something I will have to be careful with in the future.

The snare at the end of the song was so quiet that I ended up compressing the life out of it to bring it to the level I wanted. The side effect to that was that the ring of the drum can be heard, but I ended up kind of liking the effect it gave. I'm sure there is a better way (more subtle) way of going about this but at the time that how I went about achieving it.
Maybe you could try with more parallel compressing at that part (which enhances the ambience as well). Another thought: I think the mic below the snare offers some nice rattle for the ghost notes, so maybe you could try to work with that one a bit more in this section.