Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Library Preview Mix
Download the multitracks here.

.mp3    JustOneMinute_Full_Preview.mp3 --  (Download: 5.83 MB)

Hi Mike

incredible mix..so much going on and it all works..tones are awesome.
I really enjoyed it

Cheers!

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(28-04-2018, 03:20 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Mike

incredible mix..so much going on and it all works..tones are awesome.
I really enjoyed it

Cheers!

KSmile

<blush> Thanks for the kind words -- glad you liked it! Smile

Mike S.

Hi, everyone.

Initial thoughts......

I downloaded the tracks last night and must say they are superbly recorded. What a fantastic song; I'm thoroughly enjoying working on it.
I'd imagine there will be a really strong feel-good factor experienced by 'newbies' who work on this song (which is encouraging) - but I don't
believe there will be as much 'learning' from mixing this song in particular compared to songs with 'raw' tracks. Please let me explain my reasons
for this statement: When I pulling the tracks into my DAW, I got a 'rough' mix setup setup really (and I mean really) quickly because the mix
balance is essentially done for you even before you think about EQ or anything else. This is because of the existence of tracks which appear
to be stems - where volume automation (or possibly other 'stuff') has been applied prior to rendering. One example of tracks with different
instruments are on the same track, pre-levelled / pre-automated would be in the percussion department. These things are not a 'criticism' but
merely an observation that this mix is less of a challenge than one would imagine. It is an exemplar of brilliant stemming and excellent recording.
I take my hat of to the guys / girls involved in putting this song together and making the tracks available. I will continue with my mix.
Please consider becoming a patron of Cambridge Music Technology to help Mike keep this Awesome Educational Site Alive! -- https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts
(29-04-2018, 11:07 PM)Robert Wrote: Hi, everyone.

Initial thoughts......

Which is still great stuff to work on. Instead of fixing problems, which there are still things needed to be fixed here, the main point will be to create a great song.

Something to create in this mix is movement. Excitement and groove.

It will be easy to just rough mix these tracks and call it good, but that won't make it sound like a record. It's also going to be easy to do too much and ruin the songs potential.

I hope people reference their mix to songs Mick Guzauski has done. There will be a lot to learn there.
Thanks Mike. That was a fun one. I almost had to dig my little disco mirror ball out Smile
We're all just a bunch of freqs in this crazy world.
Hi Mike ,
love your mix hopefully one day when you have just one minute or two lol
would love to hear how you mixed this on patreon in the future !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Fantastic mix Mike.
(21-05-2018, 10:07 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Fantastic mix Mike.

Thanks for the kind words everyone -- and, Don, I've actually written this mix up for the Mix Rescue column if you'd like more info on it:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/...ngua-funqa

Plus, I've uploaded my Reaper project file for the mix to the library too, if you want to see all my settings. Here's the link for that:
http://cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk-projectmr1806.htm
Don't wish to appear a party pooper, but I couldn't listen to it because of the harsh harmonics and distortion artifacts. This was highly fatiguing for me. Some of the distortion is coming from the abundant clipping and no doubt the lossy codec having been given insufficient room for it's calculations.

So I put it quickly through span and this is the curve of the upper mids and treble, as attached. It shows both average and maximum values for the duration of the song, ref 0dBFS. As can be seen, the problem quickly becomes pronounced above 10kHz where values pushing -6dBFS occur. Someone with impaired hearing wouldn't notice this, depending on the extent of their impairment of course. Turning this mix up increases exposure to the hazardous portion of the spectrum because of the abundance of energy here relative to the rest of the mix's spectrum.

I've included my curve for comparison from the last mix-master, v3. I hacked the hell out of it to get the harmonics on an even keel and to a point where I could turn it up without calling the fire brigade. It also corresponds to a professional mastering EQ curve for the genre.

Am I missing something?

Thumbnail(s)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.