Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my mix of 'Revelations'
Here's an mp3 of my mix, plus I've made a YouTube video to detail the mix and all plugins used - you can find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMK1OF7e4E
(sorry for the blurry video - I used Quicktime for the screen recording and it was worsened when it was imported to iMovie for mixing pairing with the audio)

A summary of my mix:
- I ditched one of the two overheads tracks;
- I used compression and channel strip plugins set to predefined settings for drums and bass (i.e. 'bass amp' channel strip for the bass 'kick' for the kick etc.);
- I duplicated the vocal to fatten it up and applied digital chorus and heavy saturation to fatten and distort it further, plus I did about 30% pans to the left/right on the two versions for width;
- The funky strums and lead guitar later in the song had virtual amps added to give the guitars different tones just for that small section;
- All panning was kept quite small to keep the mix cohesive, yet give everything its own space in the stereo field - there was however a lot of stereo widening added to the mastering bus; and
- of course, individualised EQ on pretty much every track!

My intention was to make the mix really modern and punchy, with a big focus on the bass line. I'm really happy with how it sounds through my studio monitors, but the bass sounds quite boomy with earbud headphones.

.mp3    Street_Noise_-_Revelations.mp3 --  (Download: 4.22 MB)

I quite like the mix, especially the vocals sits great. I would however like a little more edge to the guitars, the whole mix feels very soft and "undangerous" - The bottom end seems a little clouded as well - could use some more definition here. But overall I like it!

All the best from Sweden
Sound of wool- The way you want it to sound
http://jon.rinneby.se
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I agree the bottom end is cloudy - I have listened to it in the car and with a couple of different headphones since finishing the mix and can hear it. It's a shame, because it sounded so good through my studio monitors (Mackie MR5 mkII). I generally struggle with the lower frequencies in mixes.

All the best from Australia.