Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Devil's Words - MikeMike New Mix
Hi guys!

This song was one of the very first I tried to mix, you can find my mix a couple of months back from this post. Since that first one, I did a lot of other stuff, then came back to that first mix and I found it sounded just horrible ahahah Big Grin

So here's my remix. I'm proud because I think it sound waaay better than my first one, but I do think it could still be much better, so I'd really appreciate any comment and help with this.

It would have been easier to replace the snare with samples, because the live recording was actually not very good, but I wanted to challenge myself in getting a good sound out of what was there. If you here the cymbals too loud or bright it's not because of the overheads, but because of the boost I had to put on the HF of the snare to get it sound decent, so getting the overall balance of the drum kit was really hard.

Let me know your opinions, I'd really appreciate.
Thanks and bye bye!
Mike

EDIT
From time to time i revise this mix and try to improve it. I'm attaching my new result, hope it sounds better. I definitely feel the vocals more focused now, and I think i managed to solve the problem of the cymbals. I actually liked the guitar sound better last time, but this was the best I could do today ahahah...
Bye guys and thanks!

.mp3    2018_03_20 Devil\'s Words.mp3 --  (Download: 7.66 MB)

.mp3    2018_03_20 Devil\'s Words_2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.55 MB)

Some cool guitar tonal variations, Mike. I don't recall a flanger being used in any of the guitar parts (or did you use a phase shifter?). The drums sound pretty good too - plenty of punch. Its the high hat and cymbals that grab the attention though. I think the high end could roll off a bunch, the cymbals are harsh and over powering. Maybe at mastering a -24dB roll off starting 17k or even 16k would get them under control? I hope this helps.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
(13-04-2018, 05:39 AM)davemcg61 Wrote: Some cool guitar tonal variations, Mike. I don't recall a flanger being used in any of the guitar parts (or did you use a phase shifter?). The drums sound pretty good too - plenty of punch. Its the high hat and cymbals that grab the attention though. I think the high end could roll off a bunch, the cymbals are harsh and over powering. Maybe at mastering a -24dB roll off starting 17k or even 16k would get them under control? I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your reply. As I said, the problem with cymbals comes mostly from the snare drum, because I tried not to use samples and I boosted a lot of high frequencies on it. There are a couple of ideas I'd like to try to avoid super bright cymbals while getting a good snare, I'll post an update as soon as I can!
One or Two DeEssers can help that snr track, run that into a compressor that brings out the smack and it'll be golden! I like the separation and the width on this mix! Guitars sound great!
It's beautiful, man! I love the brightness of the snare and the cymbals. I'm working on this one, and it's tough for drums, in my opinion. What the drummer is playing is great, but to get that tight punchy sound eludes me. I was wondering how to end the tune and you made an awesome decision. I'm guessing delay of some sorts in the guitar. Neat stuff.

Rock on!
Hello

*guitars are very out of place. There is also some harsh to it. The rest of the mix is very warm but then the guitars are very sharp sounding. I would recommend cutting some harshness on the guitars.

Other than that the mix is sounding pretty good.