Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cog in the Machine
(***** EDIT: There is a new mix at the bottom. I revisited this one after getting a little experience, and monitors. Please scroll down and listen, and give me some feedback. Thanks!! *****)

This is my mix of Cog in the Machine. I still don't know how to work with fixing rhythms (am doing some research on elastic audio so I can fix some issues there) so I have left those alone for now. I also don't know how to delete dead space at the beginning. I am still mixing with headphones (KRK KNS 6400's), so any feedback on how it sounds on a well balanced system would be welcome (I've auditioned it also through my stereo, earbuds, and my car to try and get an idea). Thanks for all the great feedback on this site! I love that it has become so easy to get criticism anymore, I'm learning so much more quickly. Now to listen to other posts from this song (I try not to listen to other mixes until I've solidified my own ideas and made my first mix).

.mp3    Cog in tht e Machine 8-11-13.mp3 --  (Download: 2.68 MB)

hey lowstring this mix sounds pretty good. i think the vocal sounds a little boxy to me on my system. other than that i think you have a nice balance throughout. good job.
(12-08-2013, 04:57 AM)bankey5_s Wrote: hey lowstring this mix sounds pretty good. i think the vocal sounds a little boxy to me on my system. other than that i think you have a nice balance throughout. good job.

Thanks Bankey,
I totally agree. Listening with fresh ears this morning it's glaringly evident that in my attempt to squash out the sibilance I lost all the sparkle in his voice. I'll have to start over on the vocal next week. Thanks for the feedback!
No problem Lowstring I posted a mix of this song The other day. If you have time would love some feedback on where i can improve. Thanks!!!
I've done some playing with the vocal on this one, let me know if I managed to clear out some of the boxiness.

.mp3    Cog in the Machine 8-30-13.mp3 --  (Download: 2.59 MB)

Hi Everyone.
I decided to revisit this one, since my last mix was very early in my mixing life (not that I'm a very old mixer now...) and i had mixed it with headphones and not a lot of experience. It's a great song, and I hope that I have progressed a bit, and have done it a bit more justice.
As always: criticisms/comments/feedback is welcome.

.mp3    Cog in the Machine 2-11-14.mp3 --  (Download: 3.84 MB)

Hi Lowstring,
You did quite a good job here. Your last version sounds much better than the previous ones, in that you managed to get rid of that overwhelming boxiness. To my ears, there's still some of it in the region of 250-300Hz on the vocal, and around 450Hz for the violin sound, but that's mostly nitpicking.
Another point that's not much to my taste is the ambiance you added on the violin solo, it sounds quite "claustrophobic" (for lack of a better word), too much "in your face" and not really related to the rest of the mix. I know the original track has been captured quite close to the instrument, but IMO it could do with some room space to breathe a little bit more.
Otherwise, pretty nice balance !