Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turkuaz: 'Lookin' Tough, Feelin' Good' mix
Man, this is a fun groove Cool
I'm not a super experienced studio mixer or anything, and this was all done with headphones so I'm not sure if it works on speakers.
I've heard some great mixes here and I'm here to learn, so feedback is appreciated! Smile

.mp3    looking tough-02.mp3 --  (Download: 9.39 MB)

Hi gaga like your mix but i feel the kick has too much thump(around 100 maybe?).
(22-04-2018, 12:15 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi gaga like your mix but i feel the kick has too much thump(around 100 maybe?).

Hi Cudjoe, glad you like it. And yes, I did have a problem with making the kick sound right. Actually I always find it difficult to make a 421 in a kick sound good.
I'll try your suggestion, thanks!
(22-04-2018, 12:15 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi gaga like your mix but i feel the kick has too much thump(around 100 maybe?).

Hi Cudjoe, I worked a bit more on the mix taking your suggestion in account (among other things). I think the kick indeed sounds better (I did a heavy cut at about 160Hz), but it seems the mix lost a bit of punch in the process. Hard to tell with only headphones, but what do you think?

(I also had a bit of an issue with my DAW where I had to remove automation on 2 tracks to fix it, so sometimes the balance might be off in places).

.mp3    looking tough-04.mp3 --  (Download: 12.52 MB)

Here is an attempt of putting the last mix through a mastering process. It's louder, I suppose.

.mp3    looking tough-05.mp3 --  (Download: 12.51 MB)

Hey gaga sounds nice lively, just watch those backing vocals could come down alittle more of a preference i suppose.
(04-05-2018, 06:52 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hey gaga sounds nice lively, just watch those backing vocals could come down alittle more of a preference i suppose.

Hi Cudjoe, I kind of liked the backing vocals this way when mixing, but you have a point. Maybe it'll sound a bit more coherent if I dial them back slightly.