Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Araujo "The Saga Of Harrison Crabfeathers"
After listening to the preview of this tune, I thought, "It reminds me of Jeff Beck, 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers'." That's what was used for a reference track. The major difference between the two songs is the grand piano versus the electric piano in the reference track, and the length. The reference track is almost twice as long.

I got to work and set the drum bus, got the levels and balance for the bass, guitar, piano and intro synth & gong. It wasn't very wide, sadly, so I added a touch of reverb around various tracks. It still was fairly narrow. I added the Stereo Control plug-in on the piano to spread it out (hats off to theDon). I made the drum bus mid-side with the NI passive EQ. Getting better width now. Having just finished 'Mixing Secrets', I considered what I could do. The bass guitar has a prominent role, so I created a copy of the track, made it stereo and added a stereo chorus plug-in. I created a bass buss and balanced it again. That did the trick. Let me know what you think.

.mp3    Araujo_TheSagaOfHarrisonCrabfeathers_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.81 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
This flows along really nice. Favourable choice of dynamics and sonics, for my ears anyway. I like the width of the piano but not so the bass. Seems to be a lot of bass in the side channel below 200hz and in particular sub 100hz which is really robbing the bass of weight. I did listen to the mix with the side channel high passed at 200hz and this improved things a lot. Maybe you can do this to the bass track only to retain the stereo effect above these lower frequencies.

Dave
(07-04-2018, 12:39 PM)Dangerous Wrote: This flows along really nice. Favourable choice of dynamics and sonics, for my ears anyway. I like the width of the piano but not so the bass. Seems to be a lot of bass in the side channel below 200hz and in particular sub 100hz which is really robbing the bass of weight. I did listen to the mix with the side channel high passed at 200hz and this improved things a lot. Maybe you can do this to the bass track only to retain the stereo effect above these lower frequencies.

Dave

Hmmm... ya know what, there's not that kind of control on the chorus used for the bass guitar, Dave. I'll see what can be done about that though. I agree that those low frequencies don't belong out to the sides.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
(07-04-2018, 06:48 PM)davemcg61 Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 12:39 PM)Dangerous Wrote: This flows along really nice. Favourable choice of dynamics and sonics, for my ears anyway. I like the width of the piano but not so the bass. Seems to be a lot of bass in the side channel below 200hz and in particular sub 100hz which is really robbing the bass of weight. I did listen to the mix with the side channel high passed at 200hz and this improved things a lot. Maybe you can do this to the bass track only to retain the stereo effect above these lower frequencies.

Dave

Hmmm... ya know what, there's not that kind of control on the chorus used for the bass guitar, Dave. I'll see what can be done about that though. I agree that those low frequencies don't belong out to the sides.

It took EQ and M-S controls to keep that bass chorus down the middle. Check out the section at 1:28 - 1:41, where the bass is prominent and you can hear the difference. The change seems to have cleared the way for other side instruments to become clearer.

.mp3    Araujo_TheSagaOfHarrisonCrabfeathers_Mix3_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.76 MB)

Peace,
Dave
(07-04-2018, 08:25 PM)davemcg61 Wrote: It took EQ and M-S controls to keep that bass chorus down the middle. Check out the section at 1:28 - 1:41, where the bass is prominent and you can hear the difference. The change seems to have cleared the way for other side instruments to become clearer.

I think this approach works quite well, locking down the lower frequencies whist allowing the higher octaves to retain some of the effect. I guess it's a compromise of sorts but a technically correct one. I think you're right about the overall clarity of the mix with this move. Nice work around.Smile

Dave
(08-04-2018, 01:21 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 08:25 PM)davemcg61 Wrote: It took EQ and M-S controls to keep that bass chorus down the middle. Check out the section at 1:28 - 1:41, where the bass is prominent and you can hear the difference. The change seems to have cleared the way for other side instruments to become clearer.

I think this approach works quite well, locking down the lower frequencies whist allowing the higher octaves to retail some of the effect. I guess it's a compromise of sorts but a technically correct one. I think you're right about the overall clarity of the mix with this move. Nice work around.Smile

Dave

Cool! I put the stereo control in side mode only to check it out with the spectrum analyzer. With all the cuts I made, there was still a little bit of <200Hz sneaking past, at about -30dB. Increasing the EQ cuts to 500Hz and making the side bands more narrow didn't help much, still at about -35dB. Confused
Peace,
Dave