Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"All I Know"
I used mostly EQ, leveling and panning on this mix. There were a few things cleaned up in various tracks. Nothing was done to the bass guitar track beyond leveling; I didn't feel compression helped the existing tone, so I just mixed it in with the drums and keyboards, and then started riding the guitar bus fader up. It became a second mix when the guitars bite in mix 1 reached in and chomped on my ear drum, so the high end EQ was tempered. That freed up enough to allow a modest increase on the drum bus level. Let me know what you think?

.mp3    Avalon_AllIKnow_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.94 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hey dave cool mix. I like how you made this song feel really groovy and it feels like the song is "singing". Thing is though it feels like the highend is on top of everything sort of masking the mids, i would like some more smashed mids even though i know this is something you don't always want since it feels more professional to keep those freqz a bit in the back. I am being pretty nitty now though cuz i liked this mix it has a professional touch to it.
Hi crownoise, thanks for the feedback! Is it specifically the guitars top end, or is it more across the board, like hi-hats & cymbals and the upper vocals resonances? I brought the guitar top end down already, but there's still a 4.5dB boost at 7.5kHz. I'll review the mix and see what I find later tonight; I gotta hit the road and go to work in 10 minutes.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
The high end has a shelf EQ cutting 18dB per octave starting at 12kHz.

.mp3    Avalon_AllIKnow_Mix3_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.35 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Fixing the drum mix was my goal, which I achieved, but then other tracks/groups were out of balance, so everything was touched in some manner. The mastering has been done with Waves C4 compressor, which tempered the high end, hopefully more like crownoise mentioned.

.mp3    Avalon_AllIKnow__Mix4_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.03 MB)

Peace,
Dave