Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Own - SpedeMix
(28-10-2013, 03:06 AM)manuke Wrote: Hey Spede, great work as usual. Great dynamics in this, like how it all drops down for the verses. You've worked magic on the vocals, would love to know how you de-essed them, the sibilance on the original was a huge pain in the arse for me. Nice little synth thing works well at the end, nice touch. Good stuff mate.

Hey manuke! Thanks for the comments! Smile

I had no static EQ whatsoever in the lead vocals (only some dynamic EQ to tackle the low ends and low mids in all vocal tracks). All of the presence boost come from harsh distortion mixed very quietly underneath (the distortion's focal point is usually on the most annoying hi-mid freqs). After this I have two instances of de-esser; one for ~10k upwards and another one for ~5k upwards (so the ultra high freqs won't make the lower de-esser work that hard). Both of them were working closer to 10 dBs occasionally. Every single lead vocal track got this treatment.

In general I'm more ruthless in de-essing double tracks and backing vocals (They usually sound very lisp-y in my mixes but the lead vocal esses that come across balance it out).
Hey Spede, thanks for the reply, I'll try that technique next time.