Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Own - mix by Olli H
Fun forum. I end up mixing music that I normally never listen. And even learn to like it. I might come back to this song later when I've studied little bit more this genre.

But anyway, here's my version of this song.

Cheers,
Olli

EDIT: new version at post #6

.mp3    my-own-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.72 MB)

First off the first chord is not played fully here, the onset is missing.

I'm really liking the vocal tone here. Perpaps by keeping the rest of the music very easy (not supercharging everything) give the vocals lot of space. In rap music I think it's OK to keep the vocal so forefront that it almost disconnects from the rest of the music. You hear that quite a lot in this kind of genre.

The kick would need little more low end impact. However in this mix the best solution for such would be to add some of your own kick drums.

I'm feeling a tiny drop in drive when the chorus (after first verse) hits; the lead vocals are bit quieter than the verse rapping. Also adding little bit sparkle to them (perhaps some delay) might not hurt.
THanks, good comments. Rap is totally new area to me. Too many things to concentrate at the same time...

Drop may be caused also by the fact that I muted quite many thing here and there. I wanted to more changes in the arrangement. Smile
(09-08-2013, 07:46 PM)Spede Wrote: First off the first chord is not played fully here, the onset is missing.

I'm really liking the vocal tone here. Perpaps by keeping the rest of the music very easy (not supercharging everything) give the vocals lot of space. In rap music I think it's OK to keep the vocal so forefront that it almost disconnects from the rest of the music. You hear that quite a lot in this kind of genre.

I'm feeling a tiny drop in drive when the chorus (after first verse) hits; the lead vocals are bit quieter than the verse rapping. Also adding little bit sparkle to them (perhaps some delay) might not hurt.

Some people, including myself, like rap vox to be bone dry or with a tight reverb with little to no tail. The artists, mainly J-Spurge, is crazy about effects. It's hard to tell him no sometimes. lol On choruses though, I agree with him. We like the pop sound, depending on the song. This one is more of a rap verse/pop chorus kinda track, but it's all personal preference.

I like the way the verses came out, especially K-11's (second verse). The chorus could use some effects and blending with background vox.

I would love to hear a revision whenever you get the time.
Don Perignon
Mix Engineer / Hobbyist
https://soundcloud.com/donald-holland
Thanks for good genre specific comments. I need them. I'm total newbie in the rap area. I'm already working on the second version.
New version, basic concept the same as in my first version. Slightly wider version.

Emphasis totally on vocals.

At first I tried to make the chorus more pop, but my trials didn't work at all. To me the performance style of the vocalist is not pop at all. To me it's rap, and it sounds good to me as rap. I tested also the duet style, but I didn't like it at all as it took the focus away from the words.

Dynamic range is still about 10 dB. I first tried to make it little louder but it destroyed the relaxed feeling of this song, so I decided not to take part in the loudness war.

I know I didn't find yet the inner essence of rap, but still this was fun rehearsal to me.

.mp3    my-own-olli-h-2013-08-19.mp3 --  (Download: 10.74 MB)

(19-08-2013, 08:36 PM)Olli H Wrote: Emphasis totally on vocals.

At first I tried to make the chorus more pop, but my trials didn't work at all. To me the performance style of the vocalist is not pop at all. To me it's rap, and it sounds good to me as rap. I tested also the duet style, but I didn't like it at all as it took the focus away from the words.

Dynamic range is still about 10 dB. I first tried to make it little louder but it destroyed the relaxed feeling of this song, so I decided not to take part in the loudness war.

I know I didn't find yet the inner essence of rap, but still this was fun rehearsal to me.

This is an interesting mix! Wow! I listened to it with my ATH-M50's and I don't know what it was exactly, maybe a combo of the echo, bass and snare, but it made my ears happy! Haha There is just no other way to put it.

Now most would say you went overboard with effects, but it fit well with the way you mixed this song. I think you hit the nail on the head with the relaxed feeling, cause I instantly felt that way.

Great job!

Don Perignon
Mix Engineer / Hobbyist
https://soundcloud.com/donald-holland
Sounds Great Olli Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(21-08-2013, 04:55 AM)Don Perignon Wrote: Now most would say you went overboard with effects, but it fit well with the way you mixed this song. I think you hit the nail on the head with the relaxed feeling, cause I instantly felt that way.

I'm glad you like it. I'm probably one of those who think that I went overboard, but when I'm practicing new ideas I want to taste the effect throughly, and get the hangover later. Ie. I wanted to dive into aesthetetics of rap music and hopefully learn some new tricks and musical ideas. And for an old fart like me it's important every now and then to get fresh new ideas and forget old habbits.

(21-08-2013, 07:04 AM)thedon Wrote: Sounds Great Olli Big Grin !

Thanks
Sounds great, instruments are all spot on, really like the claps too, great sense of space in this mix. It's just a personal prefernce but think the vocals could be drier, especially with that amount of sibilance hitting the verb/delay, apart from that really impressive Olli.