Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Interpretation of "Eliza Jane"
I took some of James' notes on this tune and ran with it. This ballad needs to be treated gently, so I used the lyrics to tell me when to introduce instruments. The song opens with only acoustic guitars and the the vocals. At bar 12 I brought in the pedal steel guitar. With the next mention of Eliza Jane, at about bar 17, I brought in the bass. To emphasize the "rain", I brought in mandolin 1 at bar 24. The drums come in about bar 42, and lastly the organ about bar 49. I think its arranged more like James might want.

.mp3    JamesMay_ElizaJane_Mix3_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 11.16 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Kick, snare and bass are a little weak. Otherwise nice arrangement and mix.
(12-08-2018, 07:06 PM)M.W.A.P. Wrote: Kick, snare and bass are a little weak. Otherwise nice arrangement and mix.
Thanks for taking the time to comment, M.W.A.P.

In the last few months I've reworked this song several times, tweaking EQs, balance and restored the drum tracks as they were recorded. Most noticeably, I've reset the compression on the kick and snare. They had been getting only about 1dB of gain reduction on the loudest hits; now they're getting a little needle movement most of the time and upwards toward 3dB of gain reduction on the loudest hits. I hadn't used any drum buss compression on mix 3, only a little envelope enhancement. Now there's a little bit of drum bus compression, 2dB GR, and the same envelope enhancement. I believe this is an improvement. Other thoughts and comments are appreciated.

.mp3    JamesMay_ElizaJane_Mix8_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.92 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
(16-08-2018, 06:13 PM)davemcg61 Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 07:06 PM)M.W.A.P. Wrote: Kick, snare and bass are a little weak. Otherwise nice arrangement and mix.
Thanks for taking the time to comment, M.W.A.P.

In the last few months I've reworked this song several times, tweaking EQs, balance and restored the drum tracks as they were recorded. Most noticeably, I've reset the compression on the kick and snare. They had been getting only about 1dB of gain reduction on the loudest hits; now they're getting a little needle movement most of the time and upwards toward 3dB of gain reduction on the loudest hits. I hadn't used any drum buss compression on mix 3, only a little envelope enhancement. Now there's a little bit of drum bus compression, 2dB GR, and the same envelope enhancement. I believe this is an improvement. Other thoughts and comments are appreciated.

The drum tracks are a challenge that I think you have mastered well. Kick, snare and bass are now evenly present. Good job! The double voice is a bit to the left of the panorama, which gets the mix a bit out of balance. I'd either put the voice in the center or turn it down a little.