Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Don't Let Go"
As soon as I imported the wav files I gave this song a listen with the master fader turned down. Then I set some basic level and pans. EQ was done next, again doing only what was necessary and trying to leave the performance unblemished. Compression was used on the bass tracks and group, but the guitar and percussion tracks got no compression, only their buses got some compression. With some minor level adjustments on the group buses, the mix was nearly done. I chose a warm vocal delay for the lead vocal, and everything got some hall reverb. I was still well under 0dB, about -1.5dB, so I bounced it. A little trimming at the start and end. At mastering, I used the NI Passive EQ to get the mix wider, added a compressor and the limiter to get better volume, and the job was done. Feedback is always welcome.

.mp3    JamesMay_DontLetGo_Mix1_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.68 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Very enjoyable Dave! Sounding real nice through my headphones. I reckon a tad more of that delay on the vox would be great or even something to add a little more width, without over doing it. Something unnatural sounding for me with the centred ride cymbal part in the middle on the song though. Panning it to one side might help it sit better within the stereo space and not sound so narrow. Not sure?

Great workBig Grin
Nice mix of this lovely song Dave . Can hear some lisp sound with the vocals and the transients of the (s) (t) (f ) compressed just needs a little fine tuning with the De-essing with lower threshold or a slower attack !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for the input! I'm taking both suggestions from TheDon and Dangerous. It's the passive EQ in mid-side mode that's made the cymbal more centered than it was initially in the mix, so that's gone and I'll use a standard linear EQ. Cymbals are now far right and volume adjusted to compensate for more presence. There's still some work to do on the de-esser, but first I'm off to work. Look for an updated version later tonight or tomorrow morning.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
The above suggestions are ready for review.

.mp3    JamesMay_DontLetGo_Mix3_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Lovely , Now I have to pluck up the courage to try this one !

Nice work !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts