Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions_OneMinuteSmile_Master
Thanks to the band for allowing us to experiment and learn from their material. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Update 3/19. Don't mix with tired ears. I woke up this morning and said, "Bleh!" Updated EQ across most tracks so there's more presence and less mud.

.mp3    Actions_OneMinuteSmile_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 4.13 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Re-mixed from the bare stems. Clearer, more present vocals; more punch to the drums, and better guitar tone variation. Comments always welcome.

.mp3    Actions_OneMinuteSmile_Mix4_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.43 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
(10-06-2018, 07:49 PM)davemcg61 Wrote: Re-mixed from the bare stems. Clearer, more present vocals; more punch to the drums, and better guitar tone variation. Comments always welcome.

Hey Dave

The vocal sounds great, I played it a few time on the monitors and in the headphones .. the drums don't seem to be cutting through. Sounds like they are maybe over compressed, could barely hear them. Everything else sounds great.

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
The balance of the mix ls just wrong.Guitars too loud and the drums are just a messy back ground annoyance
Started doing my head in a bit
All you need to do is turn up the bass and the drums. Something is definitely wrong though. I believe you are over compressing on them. Check that out.
I tried the NI VC 160 compressor on most of the drums, and incorrectly at that. I'll be getting a new mix up sooner or later.
Peace,
Dave
A lot of experimentation went into this mix. A couple of iterations passed using the Waves Abbey Road plug-ins, but I still wasn't satisfied with the sound of the guitars or the drums. A new mix alternate was created, a new kick track was generated, and bounced in place as a wave file that I could EQ properly. I went back to the VC76 compressor on the kick, the snare and the guitars group bus. On the guitar bus, I had been using the VariComp Distorted guitar presence setting that over enhanced the high end and left the low end sounding thin.

.mp3    Actions_OneMinuteSmile_Mix6A_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.32 MB)

.m4a    Actions_OneMinuteSmile_drums&bass.m4a --  (Download: 19.7 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Hi man,

You are getting somethings right here, but you are over compressing almost every thing. Try to use compression just to help your EQ processing and to glue some parts togheter. You are taking the room for your mix to breathe if you compress it to much.

Keep trying to experiment new plugins and new ways to mix, but be careful to not do it too much.
"Do what you love and you don't have to work a day."
I'm an amateur musician and producer, so don't take me too seriously.
Here you have my other mixes!