Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ilmari Kontia: 'Funkkihillo' - Olli H
I know that the strong riff of this song asks for more groove driven sound, but as the singer’s nice soft vox sounded like J. Karjalainen,one of my favorites, I decided to try a bit a smoother sound for the band. I wanted to keep the focus in singer, like in this song that I used as one of my references:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxMeObkTgU

.mp3    funkkihillo-2018-03-18-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.34 MB)

Nice! The gating/expanding on the drums is perhaps too noticeable when it cuts the cymbals, although it gives the song a nice bouncy groove. Again, very good overall sound with nice balance between clarity and energy. ^_^
Thanks, you're probably right. It would have been better to create a midi and trigger some sample, but I was too lazy for that this time, so I didn't add any.
Nice balanced mix Olli ,Nice work with the guitars especially the solo .
Listening on the Horror tones Thinking a touch more top end of the snare and kick beater to translate on small monitors !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

hi Olli H, great upfront lead vocal sound! The singer seems to be in front of my face, and I like that in this alternative music. The saturation in the chorus is a nice move too. the balance is good too, except for the lead vocals upfront, the rest of instruments make a solid layer where the singer sits over. Its funny how your choices of panning turn to be almost identical like mine, even though I never check other mixes before doing mine. I guess sometimes the song call for certain things. The solo is also really upfront and dry, cool. Nice mix!
PD: whats the source of the hum/distortion at the beginning of the song? Are you using analog gear?
it sounds very good, Olli! I really like the upfront vocals!! great mix in my opinion!
mixing since April 2013