Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Blue"
Mixed and mastered with a light touch for this jazz ballad.

Updated 5/6/2018 = Bass lowered and controlled below 80Hz. Also made use of Tony Maserati's multiband compression on the lead vocals. Used Andrew Scheps’ "rear buss compression" technique. Mastering EQ controlled the mids and high end sizzle.

.mp3    PatrickTalbot_Blue_Mix1_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

.mp3    PatrickTalbot_Blue_Mix2_Master_B.mp3 --  (Download: 8.82 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hi Dave
Listened to both your mix's

I listened to both mix's on the monitors, headphones and multi media speakers.
Both mix's have a really nice balance, I personally prefer the 1st mix, it translates really smooth, especially in the midrange, but I really like the bass tone in version 2
Great Job!!

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey Dave! I Agree, v1 sounds better to me, better fitting the mood of the piece. Voice might need to stand up a little more (a little hi-mids lifting, only not that far as v2, where it's near radio effect territory) and then some mastering EQ to make it a little more "modern", but not much more.

The raw bass is impressive for a VSTi, but still meh. You gave it a better sense of placement and EQued out the most obvious artifacts. Same thing with the drums, though kick might have a little too much stereo ambience, but again very good job dealing with MIDI parts.

I've re-mixed this song too, but I'm still not pleased with the way it sounds on various systems. When I can say its good and transferable to different systems, I'll get it posted.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
After listening to Deliza's and Kirk's mixes, I think I found a better balance. Last night, all the drum track compression was removed and I put it all back to unity. I put FF MB compressor on the drum buss, and set the low end to mid only, and the high end was pushed to the sides. It was better, coming close to what I was hearing from the previous mixes, but still not good enough. So I muted that drum bus and sent all the tracks to another buss with a VC76 compressor barely brushing 2dB GR and started sliding up the dry signal. Again I liked what I heard, but it didn't match the dynamics I heard. I tempered the kick drum tracks a bit and brought the snare and toms up. When I woke this morning, I tried mixing the two drums busses to a third buss without any plug-ins on it. That's where I found Nirvana; the tones fit the song and didn't seem exaggerated. I then took notice of the high end sizzle on the hi-hat and cymbals. A tiny boost at 12kHz brought that forward. I checked the bass against the kick drum and made them fit together a bit better. The guitar bus compressor was removed, instead compressing each guitar track. The song is a dad singing to and about his daughter, a little girl's "fantasy world". The last change was to the reverb used and I bounced it. In mastering, I changed from the SSL compressor to the C4. The Multi Opto preset had a range of 5.1dB by default, but that's been backed off to 3.3dB, and the various band thresholds were adjusted to compress only the peaks. This is the result.

.mp3    PatrickTalbot_Blue_Mix6_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.88 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Very nice Dave, big difference from the first tries. It sounds so much bigger, but delicate and smooth. the drums sound natural, which is the way I think they should sound, great balance.
Super mix!! I like your going to the c4 and using the opto on the master, glues it together nicely.

Great Job!
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(23-09-2018, 01:25 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Very nice Dave, big difference from the first tries. It sounds so much bigger, but delicate and smooth. the drums sound natural, which is the way I think they should sound, great balance.
Super mix!! I like your going to the c4 and using the opto on the master, glues it together nicely.

Great Job!
KSmile

Thanks, Kirk. I find myself asking "how did they get that sound?" a lot lately, not only here but with other pro mastered songs. Then I go try and figure it out.
Peace,
Dave