Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Judders' Saga
The guitar chords under the piano solo drive me crazy. I just couldn't get them to sound in tune.

Anyway, I went for a mellow vintage vibe, with a few modern elements (it's not mono Wink ). Seems not many people did much with the intro - I presumed it was made open for a bit of sound design.

It was refreshing to work with so few tracks.

All comments welcome Smile

.mp3    Judders_Saga.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

Hi! Indeed very nice and mellow tone. You could try slighlty suppressing the highs from drums? Otherwise very good mixing. Great work! ^_^
(10-03-2018, 08:09 PM)kapu Wrote: Hi! Indeed very nice and mellow tone. You could try slighlty suppressing the highs from drums? Otherwise very good mixing. Great work! ^_^

Thanks. Yeah, I did wonder if the high hats were a bit piercing here and there.
Sound is good. But I think the room ist a litte to much in foreground.Piano could be a little louder.
Hi Judders

Solid Mix, nice balance, I kind of liked the piano sounding a bit set back. Very nice!

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Thanks for the comments Smile
Some ideas_

A little too guitar centric (you play guitar, eh?). Need to bring the piano out of the bathroom (you don't play piano, eh??). The reverb generally seems to imply the room is empty. Not loving the emphasis on the buzzing frets. Instrumental balances and hence placement, seem odd. Bass guitarist wasn't in the same performance. Mix sounded too mono. Nice dynamics.
(14-03-2018, 04:01 PM)Aural Exciter Wrote: Some ideas_

A little too guitar centric (you play guitar, eh?). Need to bring the piano out of the bathroom (you don't play piano, eh??). The reverb generally seems to imply the room is empty. Not loving the emphasis on the buzzing frets. Instrumental balances and hence placement, seem odd. Bass guitarist wasn't in the same performance. Mix sounded too mono. Nice dynamics.

Fair play on the reverb decisions. I was experimenting with putting reverb on the bass but not the guitar. I think you're right that the piano sounds too much like it's in the bathroom, and I should have done something about that fret buzz.

Mono was deliberate, I wouldn't want to change that because I feel it would ruin the retro vibe of the piece. I also disagree about the guitar/piano balance. It is a solo guitar piece with piano accompaniment, it's not a duet. There are a couple of points where the piano sticks it's head up to be alongside the guitar, but I followed the dynamic of the performance and in the rest of the piece it is set back, that sounds like a performance decision to me, and I wouldn't want to ruin it.

Thanks for the detailed critique Smile
(14-03-2018, 04:34 PM)Judders Wrote: Mono was deliberate, I wouldn't want to change that because I feel it would ruin the retro vibe of the piece.

How do you reconcile mono placement (central) with the very stereo and weirdly modern introduction, stereo ambiance, stereo drums, modern guitar effects, synthesizer, panning and the fact this was a post-vintage, 1974 classic jazz standard? Just wondering Undecided

Quote:I also disagree about the guitar/piano balance.

But you placed the piano out the back room. That's a balance issue in the depth field. It's also a performance issue and a big distraction. The perception I expect of a jazz standard is that all musicians share the same space and are in cosy proximity. It's what most of us jazz fans would expect.

But hey, if this was your vision, go for it! Don't let me trample your style Wink

(22-03-2018, 02:59 PM)Aural Exciter Wrote: How do you reconcile mono placement (central) with the very stereo and weirdly modern introduction, stereo ambiance, stereo drums, modern guitar effects, synthesizer, panning and the fact this was a post-vintage, 1974 classic jazz standard? Just wondering Undecided

The introduction is a separate beast for me. If I were making production decisions, I'd dump it. As it was, I just had some fun with a touch of sound design. It is deliberately a very different space and vibe to the piece.

What modern guitar effects are you talking about? Phasing, delay, chorus were all being used before the 70's.

The drums are barely stereo in my mix, there is just a very slight panning.

(22-03-2018, 02:59 PM)Aural Exciter Wrote: But you placed the piano out the back room. That's a balance issue in the depth field. It's also a performance issue and a big distraction. The perception I expect of a jazz standard is that all musicians share the same space and are in cosy proximity. It's what most of us jazz fans would expect.

But hey, if this was your vision, go for it! Don't let me trample your style Wink

Yes, I agree about the depth of field, but I stand by the actual levels. It was a mainly pianissimo accompaniment to a mezzo-forte lead melody.