Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Big Stone Culture - Fragile Thoughts [OctopusOnFire]
So I listened to this song and immediately wanted to take a peek at the stems. When I did, at first I was like "wtf am I gonna do with these tracks?"... But in the end this was one of the most fun mixes I ever had, and I'm really fond of it.

The obvious problem is the spill in almost every track. I didn't use verbs or echoes, just a little slap on the voice and some special effects on the clean guitar (basically panman, echoboy and crystalizer on an automated aux track). Also created a drum room track with a room verb feeding from the snare, kick and percussion tracks.

I couldn't also abuse the compression, and I would have wanted to do it to the voice.

On the drums, there's a gated sine wave to beef up the kick and a sample added to the snare. I could use this sample to send it to the drum room and to the parallel drums track (with Devil Loc in it crushing and crunching).

I ran the bass through an amp sim and a fuzz pedal, then blended the three tracks. The fuzz comes on the choruses, where the bass also gets a little chorus.

I did some kind of ADT effect on the distorted guitars and beefed them up. Clean guitars are on a different track and have less widening.

Didn't do much to the voice, just give it character with lots of analog simulation, a little widening and EQ.

Overall I wanted an ultra-aggressive, dirty and raw sound for the final mix. There's more saturation on the mix bus, and two clippers. It makes the clipping more noticeable (I think in a good way) and everything comes forward very aggressively without having problems with the spill.

Let me know what you think, cheers!

.mp3    BigStoneCulture_FragileThoughts_OoF-002.mp3 --  (Download: 7.22 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

I like the wide guitars and their tone. I also think the bass sits well in the song. I haven't listened to the original tracks but I can only imagine they are raw and dirty. Lots of good vibes here.