Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodfire: 'Outer'
My Mix

Comments Always Welcome

Cheers

KSmile

.mp3    woodfire=outer.mp3 --  (Download: 8.91 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Very interesting band. Technically very close to perfect mix to me. The tone is great, aggressive but in check. I just miss a little something in the rhythm guitars from the first part, some more excitement and anticipation (as in anticipating that some big, explosive chorus is coming).

Great job K, Cheers!
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(09-03-2018, 11:23 AM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Very interesting band. Technically very close to perfect mix to me. The tone is great, aggressive but in check. I just miss a little something in the rhythm guitars from the first part, some more excitement and anticipation (as in anticipating that some big, explosive chorus is coming).

Great job K, Cheers!

Hi Octo

I felt the same thing at the beginning with the rhythm guitars, maybe a bit of automation would give it some more excitement. Ill experiment with that on the next go round.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated!

Cheers

KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey K, I'm with Octo on this one. It seems as it's gonna be massive at the beginning, but then vocals and snare come in so loud that what I think it's the combo that makes this song (guitar, bass, kickdrum with tambourine) gets backstaged and the mix loses cohesiveness and punch (oddly, because of how much punch snare and vocals have). And it's not just a volume thing, because the second round parts (vocals, snare, OH's) are brighter than the basic combo, making it sound lifeless by comparison. So everything I see questionable in your mix it's just a matter of tweaking volume and EQ. I'd say you nailed the balance within the combo (I'd push the tamb up a little but that's just me) and that might be the hardest part to get in this mix.

That reverb is a different thing, I'm afraid. It sounds almost like white noise (or a "waves" sound effect) and so loud and long that it's stealing the energy from the stops.

(09-07-2018, 10:13 AM)Deliza Wrote: Hey K, I'm with Octo on this one. It seems as it's gonna be massive at the beginning, but then vocals and snare come in so loud that what I think it's the combo that makes this song (guitar, bass, kickdrum with tambourine) gets backstaged and the mix loses cohesiveness and punch (oddly, because of how much punch snare and vocals have). And it's not just a volume thing, because the second round parts (vocals, snare, OH's) are brighter than the basic combo, making it sound lifeless by comparison. So everything I see questionable in your mix it's just a matter of tweaking volume and EQ. I'd say you nailed the balance within the combo (I'd push the tamb up a little but that's just me) and that might be the hardest part to get in this mix.

That reverb is a different thing, I'm afraid. It sounds almost like white noise (or a "waves" sound effect) and so loud and long that it's stealing the energy from the stops.

Hi Deliza
I agree 100%, this one still needs a lot of work, this was in an experimental time and I mixed all the woodfire songs, Q'ing and reverb choices got a bit weird. plus I didn't gain stage the song or do a mono static mix .. so its all over the place..lol I know one of their songs I stacked all the drums on one side and bass on the other, really old school. Not many tracks, but the recording made it a huge challenge. I think Ill have another go at these soon.

Thanks for your comments, very much appreciated.
Cheers
KSmile