Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"What I Want" overheads panning question - is the XY track reversed?
Maybe I am missing something, but in The Brew - "What I Want" are the XY overhead tracks swapped left/right (as labeled) compared to the CU-29 and ELAM 260 overheads?

Hard panning each set of tracks as labeled and then soloing each pair, it sounds like the XY pair is from the audience's perspective, while the CU-29 and ELAM 260 pairs are labeled from the drummer's perspective. The XY pair is also narrower, which is not necessarily unexpected. For the XY, however, the hi hat is (subtlety) on the right; for the other two pairs it is on the left. The difference is maybe better noted during the choruses. The position of the ride in the XY tracks is not completely clear. However, I hear the crashes that are on the downbeat on the right side in the XY tracks. The crashes in the CU-29 and ELAM 260 pairs, instead, are distinctly on the left. This is most clearly heard starting from the second measure of the second chorus (measures 44-50, about 1:44 to 2:00). Note that the first measure (43, ~1:41) crash in the chorus is kind of diffuse on all tracks.

Or, am I just "hearing" things Confused?