Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atlantis Bound - It Was My Fault For Waiting [OctoOnFire]
Hi guys,

This mix was difficult to tackle, especially the guitars and bass, because the DIs lacked definition. I reamped the guitars, bass, and did some sample augmenting in the kick and snare.
For the bass, I ended up splitting it into 3 tracks, one with the DI for the low end, one amped for the midrange and a dedicated track for distortion. There a little bit of chorusing as well.

I went for a thick, wall of sound type of mix, and I think I got the foundations right. It sounds dense to me, while maintaining dynamics and definition. At least I can identify all the elements clearly.

There's also a lot of work in the voice to keep the character while polishing the kinda nasal tone here and there. In the variation after the solo, there's some extra dose of distortion that gives it a great emotion to that part of the song.

I've just started using a free plugin from HOFA that counts the mixing time in order to measure how much it takes me and I'm surprised (and glad) that I made it in about 10 hours. Not bad, but too much listening in the middle and trying different approaches. Need to keep improving.

All in all, a very emotional and powerful track, not easy to get right, so I hope I got close. Any feedback is really appreciated.

Cheers!

.mp3    AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_OctoOnFire-002.mp3 --  (Download: 9.45 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Hi Simon

Really nice mix,, Listened to it in the cans and it sounded nicely balanced. Easy to listen to. The only thing were the vocals before you added the distortion sounded a bit unnatural , maybe a tad too much deesser or automation. I like the distortion on the vocal, sounded great!

Good Job!!
Cheers
K
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(23-02-2018, 10:14 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Simon

Really nice mix,, Listened to it in the cans and it sounded nicely balanced. Easy to listen to. The only thing were the vocals before you added the distortion sounded a bit unnatural , maybe a tad too much deesser or automation. I like the distortion on the vocal, sounded great!

Good Job!!
Cheers
K

+1. Vox sounding a little over processed initially. I do like your dialog also. It's nice to read your thoughts and reasoning and then listen to how you've turned it into music.

Well Done.
(23-02-2018, 12:07 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(23-02-2018, 10:14 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Simon

Good Job!!
Cheers
K

+1. Vox sounding a little over processed initially. I do like you dialog also. It's nice to read your thoughts and reasoning and then listen to how you've turned it into music.

Well Done.

Thanks, I like to offer some context for the mix. I think it makes it easier to give feedback, and it also kinda works for me to summarize what I did and maybe refresh my memories when I go back to it.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.