Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Jessica Childress: 'Slow Down'
I totally enjoyed mixing Jessica's Band...She wails and these guys smoke!!

Being a drummer first. The drums maybe a tad bit too loud and maybe not. I enjoyed the performance.

Comments are always greatly appreciated

Cheers

KSmile

.mp3    Slow Down-Jessica Childress1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.34 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hi K,

I wouldn't say the drums are too loud, just the kick. Also, it feels a little too heavy for the style. Probably it just needs a little diet. Less body and more 'pop', so to speak. It really becomes overwhelming as the song goes on.

It's the only nitpick at the mix, voice is great, guitars are superb, the space and separation is great too. Probably the bass is suffering from that kick overdose.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(20-02-2018, 01:56 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Hi K,

I wouldn't say the drums are too loud, just the kick. Also, it feels a little too heavy for the style. Probably it just needs a little diet. Less body and more 'pop', so to speak. It really becomes overwhelming as the song goes on.

It's the only nitpick at the mix, voice is great, guitars are superb, the space and separation is great too. Probably the bass is suffering from that kick overdose.

Hi Simon

Yeah, I got into the drummers performance too much..lol Im a drummer , Bass and guitar player and sometimes when I hear a really good drummer or bass player, Ill push it too much. I agree the kick is way too loud in the mix, I thought I might have overcooked the rest of the kit too, thanks for letting me know the rest of the kit sits ok. Ill pull down the kick a bit, reshape and check the bass in the next version.

Thanks so much for the feedback it greatly appreciated

Cheers!!

KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
G'Day KMuzic,

Enjoyed a great sound on the kit.

I'm hearing all the elements there.

Is there a little bit of top end roll off on the oheads?

Bass gtr a little swallowed up. Maybe push it into a bit more compression, and a hair's breadth of distortion, just till it breaks up a tiny little bit.

I'd be pulling down the delay on the lead voc a tad and embed them a bit plus sync repeats to the tempo of the track.

The reverb on the bvs boys are just a bit loud.

Overall, a nicely vibing mix.

Reminds me of the desk mixes we used to get at the better clubs back in the day.

Regards to all

famousbass
(25-02-2018, 01:16 PM)famousbass Wrote: G'Day KMuzic,

Enjoyed a great sound on the kit.

I'm hearing all the elements there.

Is there a little bit of top end roll off on the oheads?

Bass gtr a little swallowed up. Maybe push it into a bit more compression, and a hair's breadth of distortion, just till it breaks up a tiny little bit.

I'd be pulling down the delay on the lead voc a tad and embed them a bit plus sync repeats to the tempo of the track.

The reverb on the bvs boys are just a bit loud.

Overall, a nicely vibing mix.

Reminds me of the desk mixes we used to get at the better clubs back in the day.

Hi FamousBass

Thanks for the feedback, all good points and on the next revisit of the mix, Ill give them a try.

Yes if I remember correctly I knocked some top off the overheads or the HH cant remember which, I think the Hat track

Thanks again for listening and commenting, it really helps.

Cheers!

KSmile

very good indeed. maybe roll back bgvs and bring up bass? pleasing more dynamic overall tone. ^_^
(27-10-2018, 02:21 PM)kapu Wrote: very good indeed. maybe roll back bgvs and bring up bass? pleasing more dynamic overall tone. ^_^

Thanks Kapu
I like what you did with your mix, maybe I can get close to that on the next try.

KSmile
Hi Kirk i do agree that the kick is abit too much,i think its more of the attack of the kick and also i agree that the back vocs are a little bit too loud which i know is a nightmare to control,but as a mix it sounds well and healthy so well done.
Reaper user
(27-10-2018, 05:57 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Kirk i do agree that the kick is abit too much,i think its more of the attack of the kick and also i agree that the back vocs are a little bit too loud which i know is a nightmare to control,but as a mix it sounds well and healthy so well done.

Hi Cudjoe
Thanks, All good points, Ill take another run at this soon and make the suggested fix's

Cheers
K
Very nice sound/mix. Phase issues on drums and maybe bass I think? Fix them and you are the winner!