Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mozart K414
Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate some feedback on this, let me know what you think!

I've tried to do as little processing as possible with this mix, doing really small stuff. In some random order, here's what I did.

1) Took the main-pair mics as a synchronization reference. I delayed the piano-pair and the woodwinds-pair by a few milliseconds to be perfectly syncronized with the main-pair. I felt this especially helped the piano resonating in a much wider and natural way. Oppositely, I anticipated the room-pair mics by a few millis to get it perfectly in line with the main-pair.
2) Slight cut around 200Hz on the piano.
3) Slight boost at 5kHz on the strings to get a bit more of that nice rubbing sound of the bow on the string.

On the mastering:
1) 2:1 compression that almost never touches. It gets away only 2-3dBs on the final chord (that is the louder part of the piece).
2) Multiband compression to even out the spectrum. It mainly compresses around 1kHz in the louder parts.
3) Slight tilt eq: 1-2dB high shelf above 1kHz, 1-2dB low shelf below 800Hz.
4) Normalized at -0.1dB with limiter.

This was a real pleasure, let me know your opinions! Smile
Mike

.mp3    2018_02_19 Mozart Piano Concerto K414.mp3 --  (Download: 23.94 MB)

The timing aspects of your technical approach are laudable. As a result your directionality is pretty good. With that said, my emotional impression is less glowing. Your sound field is very wide but the depth is missing for me. It seems to have lost a sense of place and venue. Almost too sterile. There is plenty of venue and place in the stereo pairs which admittedly can be overwhelming. I'd like to hear more of it in your approach to add depth to the orchestra and the placement of the piano amidst it.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]