Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Corine, Corine
Mixing this brought back more memories, of when I saw The Count Basie Big Band in Red Bank, NJ, in what is now The Count Basie Theatre. The guitarist, Freddy Green took solos. That same year I saw Maynard Ferguson's band, right after the original "Rocky" came out. I hope you enjoy my interpretation of this tune.

.mp3    Abletones_Big_Band_Corine_Corine_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.46 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Nice one, good space, warm and dynamic. Imo the vocal is a bit hard sounding, I would tone down a dB at ~1.2KHz, also bring a bit more of the highs on the Side to get a better sense of the soundstage.
Nice Job Dave

Wonderful song and you did a great job .. felt like I needed to be sitting in front of a big old RCA radio. Definitely captured the mood .. AwsomeBig Grin

Keep up the good work

Cheers!!

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(19-02-2018, 01:54 AM)Kevinw0lf Wrote: Nice one, good space, warm and dynamic. Imo the vocal is a bit hard sounding, I would tone down a dB at ~1.2KHz, also bring a bit more of the highs on the Side to get a better sense of the soundstage.

I’ll check out the vocals and width when I get home tonight. Thanks for listening and replying.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
(19-02-2018, 03:48 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Nice Job Dave

Wonderful song and you did a great job .. felt like I needed to be sitting in front of a big old RCA radio. Definitely captured the mood .. AwsomeBig Grin

Keep up the good work

Cheers!!

KSmile

We had an RCA radio and a Victrolla when I was growing up. Both survived the 60’s but didn’t get through the 70’s before going to the great electronics grave yard. Thanks for listening and commenting.
Peace,
Dave
(19-02-2018, 10:50 PM)davemcg61 Wrote:
(19-02-2018, 01:54 AM)Kevinw0lf Wrote: Nice one, good space, warm and dynamic. Imo the vocal is a bit hard sounding, I would tone down a dB at ~1.2KHz, also bring a bit more of the highs on the Side to get a better sense of the soundstage.

I’ll check out the vocals and width when I get home tonight. Thanks for listening and replying.

I've corrected the EQ on the lead vocals. At the mastering phase, I added the stereo spread plug-in, which I hadn't used at all in the previous mix/master. I also adjusted the stereo width, which had been at 1.1, is now at 1.48. Corresponding adjustment was made to the limiter gain to keep the dynamic range and perceived loudness the same. Here's the result.

.mp3    ABLETONES-BIG-BAND--CORINE-CORINE_Mix3_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.36 MB)

Peace,
Dave
(22-02-2018, 12:58 AM)davemcg61 Wrote: I've corrected the EQ on the lead vocals. At the mastering phase, I added the stereo spread plug-in, which I hadn't used at all in the previous mix/master. I also adjusted the stereo width, which had been at 1.1, is now at 1.48. Corresponding adjustment was made to the limiter gain to keep the dynamic range and perceived loudness the same. Here's the result.

There should be some caution when playing with the stereo spread, to prevent phase cancellation. Tastes also come into play here, for me it stayed a bit too distant, but others can find it just right. Still nice imo! Big Grin
Nice Work Dave