Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Hand
Early in the balancing stage, I had some challenges getting the upright bass to not overlap the kick drum. My solution was to pan it pretty hard right, which allow the kick to remain present and punchy on the left side. I also opted to make the Rhodes and piano tracks more up-front, sitting just behind the acoustic guitars and bass. lastly, I added some theater reverb. I'm still not 100% pleased with the lead vocal track - it'll need some automation to bring softer passages to the foreground. This is what I've got so far. Comments are always appreciated.

In the alternate mix added, I lowered the horns, keyboards and snare during the lead vocals and added some automation on the lead vocal track. It seems a bit better now.

.mp3    Patrick_Talbot_Upper_Hand_Mix3_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.46 MB)

.mp3    Patrick_Talbot_Upper_Hand_Mix5_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.47 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Sounding nice so far, Dave. Clean and well balanced. I think if you could work a little more on the depth and placement, it would be beneficial. For me the mix is very forward and 2D sounding, with the snare sounding like it's in a place in it's own. What do you think? Regardless of this, you've done great so far.Smile