Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louis Cressy Band: 'Good Time' (critiques plz)
Hey guys,

with this song I found the drums a bit difficult to work with. The drum Overheads are pretty brittle and the Kick has a wierd click to it. I hope it worked out in the end...

Please, let me know what you think!

Cheers,
LukasAngel

.mp3    Louis Cressy Band _Good Time_rework_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.21 MB)

Hey Lucas

Nice mix.. Guitar fills sound really nice .. good separation.

Bass guitar is creating weird frequency overtone down in the low end around 125 . something in the low end.

Good job!

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hi Lukas,

Wow, love this song, I'll put it in the list of stuff to mix Big Grin

So I start listening to the track and there's this cool guitar. I expect the track to explode when the drums come in, and it doesn't. At least until the vocals come up, the drums should be a lot bigger and badder than they are. There's no bass, so it feels like there's an empty space that the kick could fill better. The snare could have a lot more ring and openness to it. It feels small somehow. It needs space, tail, dirtiness... Bring up that supercrushed room! Pump it up!!

The guitar that enters later in the intro, the more funky one, seems a bit out of control, a little harsh and loud. The voice is definitely buried by the guitars, checked in mono as well. Probably it's not a volume issue, but the guitars having much more "meat" than the voice. In my opinion, the guitars are secondary to the voice anyway.

The mix has good separation and just little balance problems, but I'm missing like a ton of meat down there.

Dunno what references are you using, but check out anything from Living Color to see what I mean.

Good job overall, a little conservative though.

Cheers!
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.