Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street Noise: 'Revelations'
My mix

.mp3    StreetNoise_Revelations.mp3 --  (Download: 10.59 MB)

Vocals sound good. The low end does not work for me, and the low mids are very muddy. Everything sounds very compressed and aggressive.

Did you mix this with head phones?

Regards,
Steffen

The only real comp is on the guitars.No monitors
Are you listening with headphones?
No, I don't use head phones unless I have to.

Perhaps your room is the source of the problems. I never understood why my mixes got bad reviews before I re-arranged my room years ago. The difference was huge - and I mean really huge. As long as you have problems with the room, you will never achieve a good sounding mix. If that's the case, good head phones might even be the better choice for mixing. But they are much more fatigueing than studio monitors.

Regards,
Steffen

I agree with stoman here. Balance is great as such and sonically I like it, but something is weird in low frequencies. As if the kick has an uncontrolled sub-generator attached to it or something.

Is the problem caused by room or what, I don't know. But I know that takka360 has done many very good mixes with no problems.

I agree also about the importance room. Before I treated my room there was 30dB difference between 85Hz and 110 Hz. That is to say, no chance whatsoever for me to make a mix that translates to other enviroments. But I realized that only after I measured my room in the listening position (measuring is free, fun and frustrating.). Now the room is better than +-5 dB. That's quite good, but not perfect. At the moment the room is most important piece in my homestudio. Costs for the treatment were 500 euros, and time spent for it ... well, too much.
It might be because i mixed it at very low volume.
I will have another play
New mix

.mp3    70s 2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.45 MB)

Percussion and (especially) kick are way too heavy, but the rest sounds a lot better now! Smile

Vocals still sound good. Smile

Regards,
Steffen
Maybe we just our own ideas how we want it to sound
Yes, perhaps, but do listen on different sound systems! And take breaks! The longer we work on a song, the more we like what we hear, because the ear adapts to a sound very quickly.

That's one of the reasons why I like to do quick mixes and do the fine-tuning (much) later.

Regards,
Steffen