Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Review
Hi guys, i need a review on this mix i did thanks.

.mp3    Angels Amplifiers - I`m Alright (MiguelAguirre).mp3 --  (Download: 4.02 MB)

Hi!

There's a lot of good stuff in the mix, so I'll skip to the parts that bugged me. There's a lot of low end energy in the drums, it's kinda sucking the whole mix to the middle. I'd have to know what you did to the kick and the the drum bus to figure out why. The snare is suffering and would need to have more presence in the higher end. The electric guitar that goes along the snare (and it's panned in the middle) also gets swallowed and at first I thought it was some insanely distorted harmonic from the snare.

Summing up, it feels like the main voice and all the stuff from the sides sound like they're supposed to, but there's a box in the middle where the drums, bass, the backing voices and the electric guitar are locked.

Probably is mostly the kick and bass eating too much space down there, probably is some reverb or delay that is not properly high passed... Once you check that out, the rest of the elements are just where they need to be to make a great mix.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(12-02-2018, 06:45 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Hi!

There's a lot of good stuff in the mix, so I'll skip to the parts that bugged me. There's a lot of low end energy in the drums, it's kinda sucking the whole mix to the middle. I'd have to know what you did to the kick and the the drum bus to figure out why. The snare is suffering and would need to have more presence in the higher end. The electric guitar that goes along the snare (and it's panned in the middle) also gets swallowed and at first I thought it was some insanely distorted harmonic from the snare.

Summing up, it feels like the main voice and all the stuff from the sides sound like they're supposed to, but there's a box in the middle where the drums, bass, the backing voices and the electric guitar are locked.

Probably is mostly the kick and bass eating too much space down there, probably is some reverb or delay that is not properly high passed... Once you check that out, the rest of the elements are just where they need to be to make a great mix.

Thanks for the comment! I am gong to be honest, I did this mix with headphones and I was no able to hear it in monitors (I am going to buy ones in june because money problems) I really aprecciate that you took the time to lĂ­sen it! I dindt notice about the snare Just after you say it! Thank you again
Hi Mike,

a lot can be done with headphones. I'm a night-owl with a roommate that wakes at 5AM, usually as I'm heading to bed.

After you think you've got a satisfying stereo mix, try slipping one side and then the other off the ear - listen to just the one side, and then check the opposite side. Using this method, when tracks are down the center, like the kick drum, snare and bass guitar, you can still get an image of what's too loud or too soft. Jot down some notes, just impressions of what might be better and at what section or time stamp. Remember to give your ears lots of breaks! With a 3 minute song like this, you can replay 5 times in only 15 minutes. Then go grab a cuppa coffee, or a soda, or watch a little TV for the next 15 minutes. Another thought - check the mix in mono using the same "one ear at a time" method. Is there phase cancellation, wiping an instrument down to barely audible? All errors in any judgement stand out like a sore thumb in mono.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.