Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead Inc's 'Inner Circle'
Yesterday's project... I spent a lot of time listening to single tracks and various track groups in sets of 2 or 3 before finalizing the balance. Then I added compressors and checked so the balances were still good. I wound up with a full mix at -19.5 LUFS and peaks at -0.6dB. At mastering, I added just a touch of reverb. Thanks to the band for letting us experiment and learn from their work.

Updated 3/7/18 with punchy drums and other stuff.

Updated 5/5/18 Mixed in crushed drums and parallel compression for all instruments and vocals. Mastering compressor and stereo width updated.

.mp3    LeadInc_InnerCircle_Mix3_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.43 MB)

.mp3    LeadInc_InnerCircle_Mix4_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.82 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Not a single comment tells me there was still work to be done. Maybe this restarted mix will do the trick.

.mp3    LeadInc_InnerCircle_Mix7_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.42 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
The drums on your mix sound like they have some good quality sound, although if you're using a noise gate especially on the snare, you might want to increase the release time, probably 350-450 ms is good, because I personally think it should sustain a little bit longer. You've got plenty of bottom end on the kick, but I would add a boost in the 3-4kHz to get more of a punchy sound (I know they included triggers in the tracks, but I personally did not find them necessary to use if I just added a boost in these frequencies.) It also sounds like the vocals are missing a lot of high frequencies, so bringing those back up might help it to cut through the mix a little better. Not sure if you're using a de-esser, but if you are it sounds like you might want to dial back the gain reduction so we can hear the "s" and other such sounds, but they are still down enough so they aren't too much. The guitars seem like they need more 3kHz to brighten up the tone, plus high-pass around 80 Hz so it doesn't get in the way of the bass. Overall, the drums, bass, and most of the guitar parts sound good, but you will get better if you just keep learning more. Nice job!
(20-06-2019, 05:23 PM)jamesw1 Wrote: The drums on your mix sound like they have some good quality sound, ...

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, James.

Yes, I had been using gates on the kick and snare tracks. I also had been using the default Logic X de-esser plug-in. In the last 10 months, I've changed my workflow, adjusting for what I perceive to be better critical listening skills. I'm also making use of EQ differently, and radically changed the way I apply compression (using far less often and in much smaller increments). Saturation tools are my latest plug-ins to test and try in various applications. Attached is my latest version of this awesome tune; some changes are better, while others still need more refinements. I didn't use gates or the drum trigger tracks in this mix. Comments welcomed.

.mp3    LeadInc_InnerCircle_Reimaged_Mix1_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.44 MB)

Peace,
Dave