Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brew 'What I Want'
Dealing with two sets of overhead drum mics plus an XY pair, and the three kick drum tracks was a new challenge. I decided to keep the room mics on the drums and guitar, but didn't use the live scratch vocal track. For the guitar solo, I raised the volume of the guitar bus 3dB and panned only guitars 4 - 6 to center. Here's what I wound up with. Thanks again to the band for sharing their material for us to experiment with and learn from.

Apr. 29 -I've revisited this song a couple of times the last few months. Each time something got a little better but left me smirking and humming, wondering what I could do to make it right. I've listed to other posts, compared them to mine and did some EQ matching, but that didn't correct the problems I heard in my mix. I went back, started with the drums and applied all the things I've learned. The bass guitar got major changes in EQ; it was interfering with the kick through much of the song. Specifically, the bass was playing right in the 40Hz-80Hz range where the kick needed to be. I soloed the kick tracks and bass guitar tracks, continually cutting more from those frequencies until the kick had the punch it needed. The same back and forth was done with the keyboards, getting low end stuff out of the way of the kick. All the instruments were brought together without any vocals, to get the last little tweaks completed. The toms are right up in place, not buried under guitars, bass and keys. All that was left was the vocals. I had compressed the life out of 'em. Removing the track compress was first, and then revisiting the EQ on the tracks, and then on the groups for lead and background vocals. The dessers needed adjustments. Different compressor were put on both those groups. Now I'm hearing what I knew was there but kept getting buried.

Thoughts are appreciated.

.mp3    TheBrew_WhatIWant_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.75 MB)

.mp3    TheBrew_WhatIWant_Mix7_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Reset all the channel strips and started this again yesterday. Keeping the ride cymbal bell taps took some repeats.

.mp3    TheBrew_WhatIWant_Mix7B_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.92 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.