Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape: 'Stop And Rise' kapu mix
Might have forgotten to include some tracks. ^_^

.m4a    perpetual_escape-__stop_and_rise__kapu_mix2.m4a --  (Download: 10.1 MB)

Nice solid mix as usual ,Sounds great on my monitors ,thinking the snare couls have some more air I really like how the kick and snare translate especially on smaller monitors.
I think you have forgotten to add the lead ElecGtr04DI !
I probably only miss it because I'm expecting it !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hey !

I confirm you forgot some DIs :p Nothing big but as I'm sooo used to this song, it's very obvious for me. We even add the FX guitars as sample tracks for our live shows ^^

I would suggest you to keep working on the guitar tones. They sound SUPER MEGA aggressive with TONS of hi ends and not enough mids. Think more of a rock song than a metal song.

I like the FX you used here and there.

I would have never made my drums sound like this, but it's very modern and fresh actually, and works pretty well here with your guitars.

Good job !
WOW THAT'S LOUD! Your mix does sound big and heavy, however he intro seems just as big sounding as the choruses, by the time the chorus hits you can really hear the compression just slamming the mix back down and killing the impact and just making the chorus small. I'm noticing during the first chorus that the snare is causing the mix to pump and causing the level to drop quite heavily and it's distracting and takes my interest away from the song. Really that's all I can say, Im normally not turned off by heavy compression but here it's just fatiguing to listen to and really takes away from the build from the intro to the chorus.

Cheers, and sorry if I sound too much like a certain "artful renegade" ;P,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(08-02-2018, 09:14 AM)thedon Wrote: Nice solid mix [...]

Thanks for feedback! Have to check the tracks if I left it muted or something. ^_^
(09-02-2018, 07:18 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Hey ! [...]

Thanks for listening. I went for the 'modern commercial metal' sound, as that is my main loaf of bread, so the tones I used are from that world. And I probably couldn't do 'lighter' sound even if I tried. I'm quite happy with the overall texture, and it survived the car test, so I'll probably dig into finding those missing guitar tracks. ^_^
(09-02-2018, 04:14 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: WOW THAT'S LOUD! [...]

Nah, 'you just listened it wrong.' Seriously speaking, for me the loud and compressed stuff is just what I think sounds appealing and impactful. Even when the comps audibly kick in or pump. And that's what pays the bills for me, so from my perspective I really can't argue against it. Other than 'educating' the clients about the benefits of dynamics etc, which in short for them basically sounds like me saying 'you are stupid and wrong and like bad sound, I know better so shut up and pay the bill.' I've tried that but me or bands never truly liked the results and to be honest it was just me trying to mask inadequate skill to make good sounding banging and pumpy stuff and hiding behind a degree and some fancy 'Katz jargon'. So I usually risk more severe overall compression because for me it's far more easy to dial it back a little than start 'adding' more smack which (for me) basically means having to start again from scratch and fit everything together in a different manner. But thanks for listening and feedback, point taken. ^_^
(09-02-2018, 06:05 PM)kapu Wrote:
(09-02-2018, 04:14 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: WOW THAT'S LOUD! [...]

Nah, 'you just listened it wrong.' Seriously speaking, for me the loud and compressed stuff is just what I think sounds appealing and impactful. Even when the comps audibly kick in or pump. And that's what pays the bills for me, so from my perspective I really can't argue against it. Other than 'educating' the clients about the benefits of dynamics etc, which in short for them basically sounds like me saying 'you are stupid and wrong and like bad sound, I know better so shut up and pay the bill.' I've tried that but me or bands never truly liked the results and to be honest it was just me trying to mask inadequate skill to make good sounding banging and pumpy stuff and hiding behind a degree and some fancy 'Katz jargon'. So I usually risk more severe overall compression because for me it's far more easy to dial it back a little than start 'adding' more smack which (for me) basically means having to start again from scratch and fit everything together in a different manner. But thanks for listening and feedback, point taken. ^_^

Don't get me wrong, I like to make my mix big and loud as well, especially if it's a metalcore or pop punk kind of sound. All I'm saying is that you really could afford to dial the reduction back a smidge and just really let those choruses just belt out a bit more, if you want the pumping just blend it in in parallel and call it a day. I offen find myself automating the master fader down 1-2 dB during the verses and then boosting it back up for choruses and the louder sections of song to add back some of that punch between sections when I have a more squeezed mix.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(09-02-2018, 06:30 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Don't get me wrong, [...]

Ok, well I guess I could tweak the bus compression as I think I have to add the missing tracks also. Meanwhile, you can enjoy some lovely compression here: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=22029 ^_^
Added new version with rest of the tracks (hopefully) and some minor tweaks. ^_^