Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodfire - Animals (audio2u)
Hi all,
My thoughts... an interesting track, makes me think 60's psychedelic rock.

What I did.
Gave the drums some acoustic space via a couple of different reverbs (one short, one long).
Some eq and CLA76 compression on kick and snare.
Chucked a touch of J37 tape emulation on the drum buss.
Bit of high shelf cut on the room mic, 'cause I found the room mic signal to be a bit toppy.
Sidechained kick/bass to allow the kick to cut through over the bass (which was a little too-overprocessed in my opinion).
The two guitar parts. I kept the close mic'd channel mono, dead centre. But the distant mic, I rolled off the tops to make it a little darker, then sent it through a delay (30ms left, 40ms right) to widen it, and then mixed it in to taste. This gave the guitar a little bit of stereo width, while still being predominantly centre.
Lead vocal I pretty much left alone. It was obviously tracked with compression, so I didn't add any more. Just rode the fader as best as I could.
Backing vocals (what was actually referred to as LV2) were a little sloppy, timing-wise, so I manually edited those to line them up with the main vocal.
Another touch of J37 across the master, and some peak limiting via L1+ to bring it up to -14 LUFS.
No compression on the master.
And... print it.

Love to hear your thoughts.

.mp3    Woodfire - Animals.mp3 --  (Download: 7.91 MB)

Hey audio2u, i think there is missing some low-end ni this mix, the kick really lacks a tiny lowend punch, also the guitars are bit poky in the 3-4.5khz area.
OK, thanks for that! I'll give it another bash....
No problem man! Go at it and i'll help you out with next one Big Grin
Hello Audio,
Not enough low end for my taste, need more power Smile Vocal sound is very nice. Smile Cheers