Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape : Stop and Rise
Here's my first print.
Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks Smile

Great song as well.

edit : i made a mistake on the guitars and uploaded the right version now lol

.mp3    perpetual escape - stop and rise print 1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.62 MB)

.mp3    perpetual escape - stop and rise print 3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.62 MB)

(07-02-2018, 08:29 PM)axxessdenied Wrote: Here's my first print.
Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks Smile

Great song as well.

I'm digging the guitar tone, and the drum texture, but the vocals sound a little distorted(parallel compression?) on the esses maybe, but it does make them intelligible, so it might be par for the course with this genre, other than that nice mix.

Cheers!
Sounding good,but maybe a little spread on the panning of the guitars(in particular) might make it a bit bigger and fuller I.M.H.O.
Nice solid mix ,I like the effects !
The Backing vocals sounds a little heavy in the intro and clashing with the guitar at around 1.12 around 140 and 70 hz I ended up rolling off below 200hz !
The lead vocals are a challenge can hear some 10-11k popping out and around 7-8k over de-esed with a lisp sound .
A touch more air on the drums would sound awesome .
Just my thoughts !
Uploaded a quick of your mix with some eq to tame the vocals and some top end shelf but ,of course it will effect rest of the mix !

Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    perpetual escape - stop and rise print 1-axxessdenied eq and bv tamed at 70hz and 140hz.mp3 --  (Download: 9.66 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks, thedon! Very helpful insight Smile

I processed the vox with a lot of compression so I need to drop the de-esser and just select the parts that are harsh and adjust the gain on those sections. I can't seem to dial a de-esser in properly without making it sound lispy. Manually seems to work way better for me.
Hey man !

I really like the tone you achieved. Few things I would fix : drums sound too distant and not enough in your face. In the verse 2, all the band sound very distant, like you placed all instruments in a big reverb.

The mic I used to record the vocals has a natural boost at around 12K. So if you want to use a deesser you can dig in this area to cut some painful sibilances.

Careful with the delays which are too obvious. Back them off a lot and make sure they open the vocals with being as loud as the track itself.

Good job man Smile
(09-02-2018, 07:02 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Hey man !

I really like the tone you achieved. Few things I would fix : drums sound too distant and not enough in your face. In the verse 2, all the band sound very distant, like you placed all instruments in a big reverb.

The mic I used to record the vocals has a natural boost at around 12K. So if you want to use a deesser you can dig in this area to cut some painful sibilances.

Careful with the delays which are too obvious. Back them off a lot and make sure they open the vocals with being as loud as the track itself.

Good job man Smile

Thanks for the suggestions!
dropped the de-esser and manually clip-gained the harsh stuff. the esses seemed a lot more controlled on the male track. realized the guitar-sim I was using doesn't process in stereo like I thought so I fixed that lol. dropped the delay effect on the vox to sit further back in the mix. I tried to make the drums more in your face and add a little more sizzle to the cymbals. I dropped the weird stuff in the second verse.

Hopefully it sounds better now Smile
I made a mistake on the guitars on the previous upload and fixed that.