Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions: 'South Of The Water'
Hi guys,

This is my first attempt at this song from Actions. First off, this is a lovely song that gives a lot of options and routes to go for, so my mix has stranded slightly from the given reference. It's a bit more gentle and "pop-rock" so to say. Most noticeable differences are the sound of kick and snare, less metal and more pop-ish. Specifically, I went for a 'UK pop rock' kind of sound. I think it fits the song really well, but it's a taste thing after all.

Quick recap:

- Drums: As I said, most of the character is given by the choice of samples for the kick and snare. The processing is the usual EQ, compression and saturation. Extra space on the verses (non-lin verb on the snare), going for that UK rock vibe I was talking about.

- Bass: Tried to give it that UK pop rock feel, using reverb and featuring it on the verses, especially. It has a mid-rangey character to it for this purpose as well.

- Guitars: Used crystalizer for the intro guitar. It basically takes splices of sound, pitches them, and does some echo. In this case, in reverse.
1/8 dotted echo for the 1st verse guitar worked great.
Rhythm guitars are duplicated, then added a heap of fuzz distortion to the copies and EQd them so only the higher mids came up.
Acoustic guitars have some corrective eq, then some healthy bumps in the higher mid areas where the 'click' of pick vs. string happens. It was very hard to give them a space in the wall of sound, since their low end didn't help (and removing it completely was a no-no), and it was hard to find a point for them where they could be noticed without eating up the space of the overdriven guitars, the main attraction.

- Voice: Splits for the cleaner parts at beginning and end. The usual EQ-Comp-Saturation-Deessing, dynEQ...
There's a copy of the voice one octave lower to support it in the thicker parts of the song.
The Double Track voice has, additionally, a widening plugin (Microshift from Soundtoys).
In the heavier breakdown there are 2 kinds of echo/verb effects happening. One is a hall verb, again with crystalizer. It gives an effect of openness and wild, raw energy that fits the part really well. The second echo is more traditional (Primal Tap from Soundtoys), just repeating the words after the band goes away leaving the voice solo. Also very subtle.

- Nothing special for the BGV, just eq, balancing levels and adding some space.

That'd be all! Of course I'm leaving stuff out for the sake of brevity, just ask if curious. I'm really looking forward to some feedback, see if there's something I missed or could work better.

Cheers,

Simon.

.mp3    Actions_SouthOfTheWater_OctoOnFire-001.mp3 --  (Download: 6.83 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Hey Simon,

great mix, overall a little bright but thats okay. Things I noticed:

- Drums: A bit of harshness in the hi-hats which is also pretty loud. And a wierd thing I noticed: The hats seem to bounce around in the stereo spectrum a bit... What's up with that?
- Bass: NICE!
- Guitars: NICE but a tiny bit to loud in the chorus!
- Acoustics: I only hear string noise which isn't pleasing and the acoustic part doesn't seem to add anything... I would suggest just muting them.
- Vocals are very good

That's it, very solid mix!

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
Thanks @LukasL, your feedback is truly appreciated!

Agree about the hihat, but about it bouncing around the spectrum.... I dunno...sure you're not mistaking it for the tambourine? If not, probably it's being sent somewhere unpanned, I'll have to check that out.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Hey Simon

Nice mix .. I like the vibe

Listened to it on my monitors and headphones, love the bass, vocals sound great! Guitars sounded nice and balanced on the monitors, a little loud in headphones, but all headphones have difference response. All in all, really enjoyable listen.

Good Job!

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hmmm, either your tambourine sounds like a hat to me or something with the panning is screwed up...
I dunno though, maybe someone else has a opinion?

Hi Simon,
Nice solid mix sounds good on my monitors love the tone of the bass !
Can hear some subtle sibilance on the vocals clashing with the hi hat and cymbals around the 10-12 k area listening in mono.
The hi hat and cymbals a little harsh in side channels and maybe causing what Lucas is hearing in the stereo field balance ,maybe rolling off or taming peaks with a de-esser above 10 k on the stereo drum track in the sides channels only.

Just a thought while listening switching between stereo to mono !
Now I have to do a remix !
Well Done

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks! I'll definitely have to go back to the mix and addressing those conflicts in the higher end. I also hear a little too much space on the lows, which can be a detriment to the final mix. I went for that sound, so it's understandable to overdo it at first. Also, the voice is mixed with a pop, very silky top end texture in mind, which makes it clash with... well, almost everything. As usual, very insightful feedback, truly appreciate it.