Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape: 'Duty & Memories'
My Mix

Comments Welcome

Cheers

KSmile

.mp3    Duty and Memeories2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.62 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey K,

sweet mix! Some things I noticed:

- Drums should hit harder, maybe parallel compression with fast attack and fast release to get fatter sound
- Also an epic reverb might be cool here (maybe gated)
- Mid or mid-high resonace from the strings and slides on the bass
- Bass a bit heavily compressed, and very loud
- Snare sounds a bit too clipped in the beginning
- percussive elements louder, maybe experiment with panning
- Overall EQ balace is off. I downloaded your mix and checked with a spectrum analyzer. I Low-shelfed at 200HZ for -6db, -2db cut at 700 and 2400 Hz some resonance and high shelf for +3.5db at 8000HZ. I will attach the file which flips back and forth between my and your EQ. ( Also added Dynamic Multiband EQ to keep the bass in check) I noticed that bass sounds bloated and the hi-hats, percussive elements and vocals all loose their presence and shimmer when flipped back and forth.

Hope to hear the next version soon.

Cheers,
LukasAngel

.mp3    KMuzic EQ.mp3 --  (Download: 1.83 MB)

I like your mix it sounds well balanced in levels ,the bass guitar is overpowering the mix a touch ,just a matter of some more eq ,I found notching out a resonance at 140hz -6 db with a narrow q of 10 with a parametric and taming some croak at 800hz -3.5 db with a parametric q of 2 ,may sit better .
Maybe less compression on the drum buss or the master bus ?
A couple of db shelf boost on the drums and snare (but not the bottom snare )for some more smack would sound great .

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi Lukas

Thank you for the feedback, and taking the time to analyze it. I can definitely hear the difference!

That's funny, everything you mentioned about the Q balance. Is pretty close to everything I added on the Main Buss Q right at the end.. I think I was getting tired.. lol

Ill clean it up and repost soon!

Thanks

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(06-02-2018, 10:08 AM)thedon Wrote: I like your mix it sounds well balanced in levels ,the bass guitar is overpowering the mix a touch ,just a matter of some more eq ,I found notching out a resonance at 140hz -6 db with a narrow q of 10 with a parametric and taming some croak at 800hz -3.5 db with a parametric q of 2 ,may sit better .
Maybe less compression on the drum buss or the master bus ?
A couple of db shelf boost on the drums and snare (but not the bottom snare )for some more smack would sound great .

Cheers Big Grin

Hi TheDon

Thank you for having a listen, I totally agree with the bass overpowering. Ill have a go at some of the eq settings mentioned. Also work on the snare

Thank you for listening and taking the time. It really helps!

Cheers

kSmile

Thanks guys

took the advice suggested and these are the results .. seems to have really cleaned everything up.

Pulled the bass back a bit and eq'd...2db shelf boost on the drum buss brightened the toms and snare and got rid of the ring in the toms, pulled out 6db around 150-200hz.. slight notch up at 15k and pulled the mids down 1db on the master buss eq. pulled down the master buss compression a touch. I believe that's it.

Comments Welcome!!

Cheers

KSmile

.mp3    Duty and Memeories3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.62 MB)

Wow massive difference ,listening to your first mix and second mix is night and day !
second mix sounds great !
Would like to share a video of some parallel compression to send all drums and percussion to one aux track and everything else to another seperate track and slightly compress with any compressor and blend back into to the mix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eL2-I1Hf1Q

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(08-02-2018, 09:40 AM)thedon Wrote: Wow massive difference ,listening to your first mix and second mix is night and day !
second mix sounds great !
Would like to share a video of some parallel compression to send all drums and percussion to one aux track and everything else to another seperate track and slightly compress with any compressor and blend back into to the mix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eL2-I1Hf1Q

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks TheDon

Ill check out the vid, maybe that will give the drums the kick they need.

Cheers

KSmile