Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Meets West: Direct Experience of thousands of guitars...
Hey, looks like I'm the first one here, or maybe no-one's interested in this piece? Just in case someone ventures in here, here's my first mix. It's actually been quite enjoyable, despite the multiple tracks of guitars, most of the sounds are pretty good, and it's been fun following little melodic elements all throughout this piece. A successful mix here relies on attention to detail - hearing the melody, and balancing all the different guitar elements. I'm aware that there's probably more detail I could give to the mix, but my brief was to be quick, time-efficient, and use the minimal amount of plugins that I could. I tend to spend hours fine-tuning single tracks, so I'm just trying to speed up my workflow, make quicker decisions without agonising over them. It's interesting that your initial response to the sound is usually the most accurate, and the only thing that listening to a track over and over does is dull yourself to the issues. Hence trying to work a bit faster, and go with the initial hearing. Does something need changing? Change it NOW!!! Then move on... Again, if someone ever does venture to this discussion zone, thanks in advance for the listen, and feel free to make some comments. Cheers Smile

.mp3    Direct Experience-Mix 03.mp3 --  (Download: 12.98 MB)

Hi Audiomuze ,
I heard your mix and decided to download the multi tracks !
Your mix sounds nice and solid and balanced ,sounds a touch heavy in the bottom end can hear the kick drum distorting a touch maybe hitting the master limiter a touch !
There a lot of tracks competing for space around the 200-400 hz area and below I think some more subtle eq moves and your well balanced mix will sound fantastic .

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I agree with the don about the build up in the lower mids and dealing with these I think would open your mix a bit more. I see your aim was mix quick and efficient so I think you did a great job altogether

Hey Audiomuze, I just listened to your mix, and read your post. Its funny because I said some similar things in my post(great minds think alike, I guess). I'm going to fine tune mine since I only spent somewhere between 45 minutes to an 1 hour on it just to clean it up a bit, maybe 15 minutes here and there. But I agree with you, work efficiently and make decisive decisions right away, and you can really get the bulk of the work out of the way and have some fun. This was a fun track to mix wasn't it?

Later!
I like the mix, but there's something funky going on with the limiting. When it gets louder it gets quieter!
Sounding good to me! really like how intimate the intro feels and then it explodes out wide - enjoyed!