Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

Here's some more project info you might find useful:
  • About The Raw Multitracks: (Note that these multitracks are hosted remotely, and unlike most of the stuff in the library are at a 48kHz sample rate.)
  • Challenges You're Likely To Face: I've not mixed this multitrack myself, but a brief survey of the multitracks suggested the following challenges.
    • The overheads don't have huge amounts of snare in them, so you may have no choice but to use a sample if you want the snare sustain to compete with the guitars. However, the undersnare mic is rather nicely captured, so that might provide a workaround.
    • There's a lot of sympathetic ringing in the tom mics, but if you gate them too hard to reduce this (and clean up the kick) you may throw out some nice mix 'glue' from their spill into the bargain.
    • The bass guitar playing is rather uneven, so I'm guessing it'll need a combination of careful editing, processing, and automation to get the best out of it.
    • The guitar arrangement is quite minimal, so you may have some difficulties creating a sense of long-term momentum in the song as a whole.
    • The vocalists enunciation isn't very clear, which means it'll take a lot of careful automation if you're going to hear the words here.
  • Some Mixing Tips:
    • There's lots of discussion available about this multitrack over on Mixoff.org, where it served as the basis of a mix-off competition presided over by author Barry Wood. The winning mix can be found here, but there are plenty of other versions on that thread too. (And you're welcome to post mixes for feedback here as well, of course!)

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post and I'll see what I can do.
I downloaded the stems and they are document file. And i can't seem to make them a wave file on my mac any ideas??
(05-06-2014, 09:34 PM)bherds Wrote: I downloaded the stems and they are document file. And i can't seem to make them a wave file on my mac any ideas??

Unlike all the rest of the multitracks in the library, these stems are in FLAC format, so perhaps your DAW doesn't support that. Most mainstream DAWs do, but not all. You can use Cockos Reaper's batch converter to change them to WAVs if necessary.
please how were the vocals recorded??!!? any info is good... size of room, type of mic, placement of mic, mic pre, converters, interface ext.. Big Grin
(16-07-2014, 10:37 PM)otwstudio Wrote: please how were the vocals recorded??!!? any info is good... size of room, type of mic, placement of mic, mic pre, converters, interface ext.. Big Grin

I'm afraid I don't know. Best to try contacting the band about this one -- do repost if you get any further info!
calla y mezcla no mas
Hey !

Got a stupid question : what the hell is the tempo for this song ? Looks like it's 80 in the intro, then the drummer slows it down to 76, BUT can't play in time....
When I change the speed of the song, the tracks change as well (so speed up or slow down), which means I can change the overall tempo of this song.... Quite weird yeah....

Thanks guys !
(04-02-2015, 07:37 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Got a stupid question : what the hell is the tempo for this song ? Looks like it's 80 in the intro, then the drummer slows it down to 76, BUT can't play in time....

Not sure myself, as it's one of those few productions that aren't hosted locally here -- I normally work out the tempo and include it in the readme with the ZIP.

Quote:When I change the speed of the song, the tracks change as well (so speed up or slow down), which means I can change the overall tempo of this song....

This effect can usually be switched off in most DAWs these days. Things like Reaper and Ableton do it by default, I seem to remember. In Reaper you just need to select the audio and switch its timebase (in the Item Properties) to 'Time' rather than bars/beats.

(04-02-2015, 10:42 AM)Mike Senior Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 07:37 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Got a stupid question : what the hell is the tempo for this song ? Looks like it's 80 in the intro, then the drummer slows it down to 76, BUT can't play in time....

Not sure myself, as it's one of those few productions that aren't hosted locally here -- I normally work out the tempo and include it in the readme with the ZIP.

Quote:When I change the speed of the song, the tracks change as well (so speed up or slow down), which means I can change the overall tempo of this song....

This effect can usually be switched off in most DAWs these days. Things like Reaper and Ableton do it by default, I seem to remember. In Reaper you just need to select the audio and switch its timebase (in the Item Properties) to 'Time' rather than bars/beats.

Thanks Mike ! I use Logic Pro X, gotta check this out.