Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suitable reference track? It Was My Fault For Waiting
I couldn't really find a reference track that worked for this song, so I skipped around online and in my collection. Here's what I've settled on for Atlantis Bound.

.mp3    AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Compressor changes across the board were made, choosing some of the NI plug-ins over the stock Logic units, creating some volume changes that needed to be re-balanced. The lead vocals compressors weren't touched. The background vocals were moved to a group bus so they could be better controlled. At mastering, the Passive EQ was used in Mid-Side mode, allowing me to completely remove the directions mixer plug-in. I tried a few of the NI compressors, but the pumping effect was far too pronounced for my liking, so the stock Logic Platinum Analog tape plug-in was used, but I changed the ratio to 2:1. The input gain was reduced as was the make-up gain. I found some of the high end a bit too sharp and set LP filter to roll-off everything above 17KHz by 6dB. The result is a wide and loud product. Your thoughts are appreciated.

.mp3    AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Mix4B_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.77 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
I've been listening to the prior mix on various sound systems; in my car, on my Bose sound dock, my iMac, my desktop PCs Roland monitors, and on the systems of friends and family. On each system, there were glaring problems; vanishing toms, shrill vocals or extremely soft male background vocals, the list goes on. Also worthy of mention is reading Mike Senior's Mixing Secrets through chapter 6, and the Logic Pro 10 manual. My oldest and least useful pair of acrylic winter socks now have a new home - stuffed in the bass reflex port of my KRK Rockit 6s. Logic supports alternative mixes, so I created a new version of this awesome song and wiped all the plugs and zeroed everything back to the beginning.

I've used these techniques in some of the James May songs recently done, but this is the first time I'm employing them on this type of rock mix, and with a female lead vocalist. LUFS Integrated level is -13.0.

Some Screenshots are also attached showing that compression was used only on the kick tracks and the lead vocal tracks during mixing. EQ and panning were 90% of the effort. What was done to the group buses is also shown. Lastly, there's screenshots of the mastering session and the waveforms of this mix and mix4 from last month. Its apparent that there are sharper dynamics in the song. I'd like to know some opinions regarding this mix, please?

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Mix6_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.18 MB)

.mp3    AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Mix7_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.22 MB)

Peace,
Dave